Speke's shoving & biting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Our hatchling Speke's hingebacks (approx 3 months old) seem aggressive towards each other. At the food dish, which is sufficient size for 2 torts, there are frequent scuffles between the two. They bite each other (head, shell, feet, whatever available). Not just one bite, but 4 or 5 jabs in a row. Could they be mistaking the foot for a tastey mushroom or something?

Also, one will also put its head down and shove under the other, it appears, in attempt to flip the other one over. They both do this, and they both bite. No one has ever been harmed, or even successfully flipped over.

Should we be worred? Can they protect themselves and we can relaxe? Does this mean they are two males? Or two stubborn torts? Is this common in Speke's or other species at this age? Advice?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Tim and Robin,
Your 2 Hingebacks are fighting over the food. The whole survival of the fittest going on. :D They aren't mistaking each other for food, they know exactly what they are doing. Trying to drive the other off the food and get it all for themselves. The older they get the more this will escalate.
I've seen this behavior in hatchling and adult Ornate box turtles. It gets much more violent with the hatchlings. I've actually had a group of 6 eat one of the group. After that they all got seperate containers.
The adult will do this over food, but not get as violent as the hatchlings. It does though stress them out if there are to many doing this. I've finally got them where they are relaxed enough to get my first ever captive breedings of the Ornates this year. Just had to keep the group sizes small and they are fine.
If they were mine I would seperate them. :D

Danny

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Danny. Kind of afraid that is what is going on. We sure don't want anyone to get hurt. Bad behavior gets them sent to their own rooms without TV! ;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If your pen is big enough.. seperate them during feeding. two seperate dishes. With my goats and llamas, when I feed them thier hay, i try to make more piles then there are animals.. so they can move from one to another, still eat and not fight over it. They usually find one to share with...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most hingeback breeders find they need to separate their youngsters for this very reason. My Bells babies were the same way, but my adults are all fine with sharing the food dishes.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We tried Laura's suggestion first, before separating them. We placed two dishes in opposite ends of the cage with visual barriers between. It has worked suprisingly well. We place them at their own dish and they haven't bothered the other one as of yet. Our 2 redfoots have two dishes also and they go from one dish to the other to the other, etc. (hey, he might have something better over there than I do). But the Speke's are being good kids for the time being. Fortunately, our torts are well-observed, so we will just continue to keep an eye out. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.