Spending a lot of time in the cold end

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Does anyone get concerned that coir is damp? I’m thinking in regards to humidity and shell rot?
@katieandiggy is giving you excellent advice. She's saying all the same things I would say.

I just want to add: Somewhere along the way it seems your read the old info that humidity is bad for tortoises. It isn't. Its really good for them. Moderate humidity of 50-70% suits all of the Testudo species very well. Shell rot is exceedingly rare in the Testudo species. Not impossible, but very very unlikely to ever happen. The coir needs to be kept damp. It will get dry and dusty if not kept sufficiently damp.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track for everything. Tim is a lucky tortoise! :)

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
@katieandiggy is giving you excellent advice. She's saying all the same things I would say.

I just want to add: Somewhere along the way it seems your read the old info that humidity is bad for tortoises. It isn't. Its really good for them. Moderate humidity of 50-70% suits all of the Testudo species very well. Shell rot is exceedingly rare in the Testudo species. Not impossible, but very very unlikely to ever happen. The coir needs to be kept damp. It will get dry and dusty if not kept sufficiently damp.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track for everything. Tim is a lucky tortoise! :)

Thank you both so much for all your advice. Yes I think I’ve read some old articles going to keep it moist plus it’s keeping him a lot cleaner anyway!

Here’s some photos now it’s finished ( for now) plants are real and both tort friendly (green on tortoise table) he’s definitely enjoying the one with flowers (can’t remember what it is now) might have to periodically remove it so he isn’t just eating it to the bone!!

I saw an instant change in him once I had made these changes! He’s so much happier and moving around so much more!!

IMG_1532971985.178538.jpg

IMG_1532972017.195508.jpg

IMG_1532972052.921038.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know how it works over there, but over here store bought plants are grown with systemic toxic pesticides to keep them looking pretty and bug free for market. They are not intended to be eaten by animals. Use caution.

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
I checked with the garden centre and they assured me no pesticides and even steered me away from one which I was going to get as it had been sprayed so I was pretty confident otherwise I would’ve grown them on first

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
Is it bad that he’s eating a lot of it though? Like not really leaving it alone? Or should I just let him get on with it?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
That purple flower is campanula and I said in my post above, it is my torts absolute favourite! I hate to tell you, but you will be buying them regularly. I’ve got 3 on a rotation at the moment. I just let mine eat what he wants, mine still eats all of his greens too. I also added Nemesia, that is another favourite both leaves and flowers.

Your tortoise table looks so much better, much more interesting and places to hide so the tortoise feels safe.

Definitely look into doing the outside kiddle pool, my tort absolutely loves going outside, he’s been totally p****d this last 2 days as he hasn’t gone out because of the weather, he sat at the door of his Viv waiting.

Last edited:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you both so much for all your advice. Yes I think I’ve read some old articles going to keep it moist plus it’s keeping him a lot cleaner anyway!

Here’s some photos now it’s finished ( for now) plants are real and both tort friendly (green on tortoise table) he’s definitely enjoying the one with flowers (can’t remember what it is now) might have to periodically remove it so he isn’t just eating it to the bone!!

I saw an instant change in him once I had made these changes! He’s so much happier and moving around so much more!!

View attachment 246677

View attachment 246678

View attachment 246679
Great job!

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
Tim 100% thanks you all!! Even though he’s pretty tired when I get in from work my girlfriend has seen him marching around and snacking on his plants!!

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
About the coir being wet, I actually only kept about 1/3 of the coir soaking wet on one side, the other side is very dry. Usually the dry side is where I feed him to avoid sticky coir going everywhere. But then again I'm in a very humid country, so I have no concern about humidity. My tortoise stays outside most of the day
2048252031.jpg

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
About the coir being wet, I actually only kept about 1/3 of the coir soaking wet on one side, the other side is very dry. Usually the dry side is where I feed him to avoid sticky coir going everywhere. But then again I'm in a very humid country, so I have no concern about humidity. My tortoise stays outside most of the day
View attachment 247052

Yeh I’m doing the same actually as I’ve realised that as I still have the soil sand mix underneath it’s very wet further down and only the top is drying out anyway and it’s only drying under the basking light

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Your enclosure looks really nice. I am sure your tortoise is so much happier with all the different things you have added to its enclosure. :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Brilliant I shall add it to the list!

Thanks so much for all the help guys and feel free to keep supplying it! I have learnt a lot!

Does anyone get concerned that coir is damp? I’m thinking in regards to humidity and shell rot?

I raise my Russian tortoise hatchlings in moist coir and they thrive and have beautiful shells.

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
I raise my Russian tortoise hatchlings in moist coir and they thrive and have beautiful shells.

Absolutely! Mine is still moist and plenty of humidity. No issues with that just have soil and sand sapping a lot of moisture up and holding it underneath so I don’t want to rot my table!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sounds like you figured stuff out. Stress is a big thing with new tortoises. When you get a new torotise gotta give it time to adjust to the new place new routines. Moving him inside and outside when you fist get a tortoise is just going to add to stress and slow the adjustment period. The plants the substrate all that helps comfort the tortoise and the time will allow him to get more friendly. My hermanns is one of the freindlier tortoise I have really a joy to keep, and good to see yours is doing a lot better!

Kyle

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
Sounds like you figured stuff out. Stress is a big thing with new tortoises. When you get a new torotise gotta give it time to adjust to the new place new routines. Moving him inside and outside when you fist get a tortoise is just going to add to stress and slow the adjustment period. The plants the substrate all that helps comfort the tortoise and the time will allow him to get more friendly. My hermanns is one of the freindlier tortoise I have really a joy to keep, and good to see yours is doing a lot better!

Kyle

Yeh I’m having problems with the in and out at the moment as when I put him outside he just goes under his hide and burrows down completely covering himself

Is this due to stress or because indoors is warmer and he isn’t used to it being about 5-7 Celsius colder outside?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Mine does burrow down too.
Have you got an IR thermometer? If not I highly recommend one. I always double check the temperature. You’ll be surprised the difference in the air temperatures and surface temperatures within your outdoor enclosure .

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
Mine does burrow down too.
Have you got an IR thermometer? If not I highly recommend one. I always double check the temperature. You’ll be surprised the difference in the air temperatures and surface temperatures within your outdoor enclosure .

I’ve just ordered one but then my problem becomes what do I do if it is indeed cold?

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
It turns out substrate level is about 17 Celsius. How can I make it warmer for him? Looking for something other than a heat lamp as there are no electrics outside

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I wouldn’t put him out unless the temperature was about 21-22 as a minimum. I don’t put mine out unless the sun is out. Was the sun out? Or weather hasn’t been great the last couple of days. When you make your bigger outdoor enclosure, think about having a cold frame. My kiddie pool is too small but when I get around to doing my permanent outdoor enclosure I’ll be having a cold frame.

andyhubbert

Liverpool, UK
I wouldn’t put him out unless the temperature was about 21-22 as a minimum. I don’t put mine out unless the sun is out. Was the sun out? Or weather hasn’t been great the last couple of days. When you make your bigger outdoor enclosure, think about having a cold frame. My kiddie pool is too small but when I get around to doing my permanent outdoor enclosure I’ll be having a cold frame.

Yeh sun was out. Im thinking maybe it’s because the air temp isn’t reaching 20s here until about midday maybe not warming the ground enough.

Yeh I’m building a cold frame for my permanent enclosure - going to DIY it with some stretched out wire hangers and clear plastic!! (Hopefully my DIY skills are up to the test!!)