Sphagnum moss in the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlii

5 Year Member
Has anyone purchased the Sphagnum peet moss from Lowes and put it in their tortoise enclosures? I purchased some yesterday and it is a very fine powder. I'm afraid to put it in my yearlings hide hole. Do you think it will be okay, or should I purchase the moss from a pet store? Its so much cheaper at Lowes. $9 for a huge cube.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think what you want is just plain old sphagnum moss. Not the peat moss. Sphagnum is long strands that the tortoise can dig into.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I bought mine at Lowes and it is called Orchid Moss there. Was right next to the Orchid Bark I buy! I was very surprised to not have to make an extra trip to the pet store.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
When i first got my tort i purchased the peat moss you have now. I ended up mixing it all in with my dirt because of the..how you put it, powdery form.

The long stands are what i use now in the hides and under plants. Its definitely what you want to get.

I bought the petstore one for $4. I used only 1/4 of the bag so far. So i don't think its too expensive that way. If i needed alot for more tortoises then I'd get it from a garden center in bulk

Owlii

5 Year Member
I ended up finding Sphagnum moss at Lowe's next to the orchids. Our Lowe's lists it as Sphagnum moss, but I am glad the orchid section was mentioned, otherwise I would have never found it!

I plan on taking the HUGE block of sphagnum peat moss back to Lowe's when the weather isn't so rainy here. Thanks everyone for your guidance! I had a feeling what I had was not what I needed, but I wanted to make sure before I took it back to the store. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.