sphagnum moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I normally buy the New Zealand Sphagnum moss however my garden is full of the stuff and is definitely organic! Can you use it?

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
I normally buy the New Zealand Sphagnum moss however my garden is full of the stuff and is definitely organic! Can you use it?

I'm not sure if I can use it, but I'm pretty sure you can use it if its free of pesticides/chemicals.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I've got loads of it lol! seems silly buying it !? I'm washing some now and some ants have come out of it which are now not in it now. It's pure sphagnum moss as I've taken out strands of grass and weeds. What does anyone else think? I don't want to put it in if its not advisable :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It's free as well. Don't want to have to fill a very large enclosure with small expensive bags of pet shop moss lol-cost a fortune

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
FLINTUS said:
It's free as well. Don't want to have to fill a very large enclosure with small expensive bags of pet shop moss lol-cost a fortune

Ha ha your right there! I've got loads of the stuff! My lawn is more sphagnum moss than grass lmao! What's the litter leaf stuff you get?!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I pick up old leaves-have to make sure they're safe from trees for my reds(especially in Autumn), as this is very similar to what they'd have in the wild.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
What? You have sphagnum moss growing outside your home? I.Am.Jealous. My side of the world, well, it's a conquered desert. No moss for me. Other than bought in bags at the store. How cool to have home grown! : )

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
FLINTUS said:
I pick up old leaves-have to make sure they're safe from trees for my reds(especially in Autumn), as this is very similar to what they'd have in the wild.

Tell me the tree leaves you collect please :) Alan normally has vine and mulberry leaves but I can get others but not sure on the correct ones ;)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
What? You have sphagnum moss growing outside your home? I.Am.Jealous. My side of the world, well, it's a conquered desert. No moss for me. Other than bought in bags at the store. How cool to have home grown! : )

Ha ha yep! Absolutely loads of it :)
Alan is loving it too now...
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365343741.585727.jpg
your welcome to have some! :) it would be an expensive trip though! And cold :( mind you it's sunny today :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Well today I think Alan's taking the lots of sphagnum moss too far!
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365419017.233600.jpg
Believe me when I say he is under there! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Brilliant photo!! :D I ordered some moss lastnight to make a nice humid hide for wizzle. Do you find it holds moisture quite well?

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I've realised mine is missing her sphagum moss :( I took it out cause she used to drag it EVERYWHERE! but now she has nothing to nest in and sleeps in the cold end. Looks like it will be going back in her new enclosure! :)

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ScottishFish said:
Brilliant photo!! :D I ordered some moss lastnight to make a nice humid hide for wizzle. Do you find it holds moisture quite well?

Yeah definitely! I was having problems with him becoming dry and thought I must buy some more sphagnum moss.....then realised my whole garden is full of it! His humidity rises to 95% when misted but averaged 85% the whole day with it in :)

LeopardTortLover said:
I've realised mine is missing her sphagum moss :( I took it out cause she used to drag it EVERYWHERE! but now she has nothing to nest in and sleeps in the cold end. Looks like it will be going back in her new enclosure! :)

Awww bless.... He's totally nesting in his now! I can't find him! :)

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Excellent!! Mines is an eastern so the humidity doesnt need to be sky high, but I feel the humid hide needs more
Humidity
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.