Spider hatching today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We had our first Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides (Spider) tortoise pip today! 167 days since it was laid, 96 days since diapause broken. Here are a couple photos. Will add more once she makes her way out completely. Maybe her eyes will be open then too. It's a big day at our house! :D

20090527_5087.jpg

20090527_5088.jpg

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa, U.S.
Congrats. I bet it is really exciting to see the little critter make it's way out.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Way cool! Congrats you lucky ducks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tim and Robin: I must apologize! I was suffering under the impression that you were newbies to tortoises. So I went back to your introduction last July and I see that you were just new to the forum! You already had a nice collection of tortoises. No wonder you are having such breeding success with the hard-to-hatch species. You've been taking care of tortoises for some time.

Congratulations on your new spider baby. Are there many more eggs coming? Or is this a specie that only lays one egg per clutch?

Yvonne

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
Congratulations on your new spider baby. Are there many more eggs coming? Or is this a specie that only lays one egg per clutch?

Yvonne

One egg each clutch. Long, complicated incubation. We have several females and thus have more eggs in the incubator:). These are quite precious since they are slow to reproduce and increase the population size. Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides are listed as critically endangered (habitat destruction, illegal collection as pets and people eat them).:(

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
congrats, always great to see you hatching new babies, spider tortoises are very cool tortoises

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great pictures Tim & Robin :D The little one looks great.

Danny

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Congrats to you on a job well done! I here incubation is difficult.

Can't wait to see the little one totally out of it's shell!

pyxistort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Congratulation. It's good to see more spider tortoise babies...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
wow! that is REALLY impressive! Your family must be so proud!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Can not wait to see him/her when she breaks out all the way. Will be looking forward to the pictures. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Simply beautiful...both mother and hatchling. Think I should get over my fear of Spiders...:rolleyes:

desertsss

5 Year Member
That is amazing. Congrats to you and the mother! Both are beautiful. :D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
oh wow! This baby will be a wonderful addition to your collection! Do you have any threads up with pictures of your entire collection? Or one of your incubating room/nursery? I'd love to see a thread on either topic....your setups are so impressive, and your ability to hatch such fragile species is simply amazing!

I'm really happy to have been able to witness something like this.....you can't find pictures like this through google!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Meg90 said:
oh wow! This baby will be a wonderful addition to your collection! Do you have any threads up with pictures of your entire collection? Or one of your incubating room/nursery?

There are tons of pictures on our blog. The address is in our signature. Robin loves to take photos of them all and shares many on the blog.
As for this baby, she is already spoken for. :p However, at this point we cannot fathom getting rid of a single Spider babe. :D They are a labor of love. The incubation is rather complicated.
As for the incubator, it is a home-made one, using a styro-foam tropical fish shipping box and a light bulb, thanks Danny. I did have to add a Helix thermostat, as I could not calibrate the other thermostat. I was getting too much fluctuation in temps. It really is very simple.
We really feel a key to our success this far, is time. We commit a lot of time and attention to our tortoises, it is a family passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.