Spider plant vs Spider mum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I went to the plant store to buy a spider plant because I want to put it in Hermy's enclosure, but there were 2 kind of plants (they really looked alike) Spider plant and spider mum, I know the spider mum is toxic so I asked the girl that worked there and she told me she did not know the diff between the 2 of them so I asked her if maybe a spider mum could be in the spider plants side and she told me yes. I went on the net and the spider mum does not look at all like the spider plants, so now I am really confused. Does anyone know what is the difference between a spider plant and a spider mom?

And is it ok if she eats a bit of the spider plant everyday?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Spider plant has grass-like leaves (lancet) and sends out tendrils that end in baby plants looking like parent and has small white five pedaled blossums. It is a common house plant and harmless to torts and other animals. Spider mum has lobed leaves and a blossum with long thin petals originating from a center base.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
In addition to what Larry wrote, the spider plants are a green and white striped plant with small white flowers on them. Spider mum plants are not green and white striped, but rather a solid green, and the flowers are much larger {in general} than the flowers of the spider plant..

Hope this helped,
Purpod

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Larry, Purpod and Robyn.

I will go to the plant store this weekend :D.

If the plants are identicals, I will take some pictures and post them here.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
After further research, I wouldn't let torts eat chrysanthemum because they may well be somewhat toxic to cold blooded animals with their slower metabolism.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mums are a very popular Floral potted blooming plant. You see them in Grocery stores as well. Hardy, great gifts,
but NOT a spider plant. In fact I think one of the things they can make from a Mum is flea spray.. Toxic kind! so be careful. but i think you got your answer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.