Spider Tortoise Update - Spring 2014

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools

Here's a video update on my Spider Tortoises. My five are Pyxis arachnoides arachnoides, while four of our partners at theTurtleRoom keep this and other subspecies of Pyxis arachnoides.

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thanks for fixing it, Anthony. Your pyxis are beautiful. Mine are growing so slowly--I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Too slow growth in any species isn't a problem I've ever had. I'm in the process of moving, so all my turtle and tortoise habitats will undergo a makeover. Maybe I could get some pointers from you about your habitat and diet?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Thanks for fixing it, Anthony. Your pyxis are beautiful. Mine are growing so slowly--I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Too slow growth in any species isn't a problem I've ever had. I'm in the process of moving, so all my turtle and tortoise habitats will undergo a makeover. Maybe I could get some pointers from you about your habitat and diet?
Anything for you Jan! And as we've discussed before, I have one tortoise that has grown much slower than the others. I don't know why. Of the four that I acquired as hatchlings in 2011, three are in the 100-125 gram range and one is still under 60 grams! That small one is most active and hungry though, so who knows!?

The good news is, those 3 that are 100 grams plus all look like females. Fingers crossed.

Anthony

michiganice91

5 Year Member
Anything for you Jan! And as we've discussed before, I have one tortoise that has grown much slower than the others. I don't know why. Of the four that I acquired as hatchlings in 2011, three are in the 100-125 gram range and one is still under 60 grams! That small one is most active and hungry though, so who knows!?

The good news is, those 3 that are 100 grams plus all look like females. Fingers crossed.

Anthony

It happens. I have a 10+ year old brygooi female who is just on the cusp of 100 grams. She eats all the time and is fairly active....just a runt I suppose.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
That's AMAZING! I have that "runt" myself and have collaborated with other Pyxis keepers whom have some as well. I don't know about you, but I have found that the smaller, slower growing tortoises are more active overall.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
What was that baby eating?