Spider tortoises under the ESA

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I shouldn't have lied.. I'd love to keep radiata, but they're not a priority for me, since they take so long to mature. They sure would be fun to work with though.
They're pretty fun. Have weird expressionative Behavior though. Scared but gregarious and boring but active all at the same time. They're cool though.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So whats your stance on it? Good? Bad? Little bit of both?
They will probably be listed for sure. Doesn't really affect us much. We're permitted to work with all ESA species except yniphoria. Only AZA facilities can maintain those. Which is another discussion for sure. Conflict of interest in my opinion really.

Keep in mind though that AZA only has jurisdiction on NON grandfathered specimens. Not sure how any could be still out there but yah never know.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
As always, great info Kelly.

And as far as that one "important" thing I asked you about last week, it looks like I will be joining the club soon. So that means radiata would be the only "attainable" terrestrial Malagasy situation I'd have yet to experience. Fingers crossed, luck willing.. :)

Man, this stuff is fun, isn't it!?

Turtlepete

South Florida

And as far as that one "important" thing I asked you about last week, it looks like I will be joining the club soon. So that means radiata would be the only "attainable" terrestrial Malagasy situation I'd have yet to experience. Fingers crossed, luck willing.. :)

Hmm....Does this species latin name happen to have two P's?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It might, but I'm not totally sure about everything yet, so I don't want to jinx it. But I must say, it's pretty darn nice to have a little chunk of change to throw at my dream. I know I haven't been, but it sure feels like I've been waiting forever to be able to ask people about them without feeling that I'd be wasting their time. Very exciting time, Pete.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Fantastic. It is indeed fun.