Spike looks like he got hurt!! Help!!!

jennatals

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My tortoise (ive never found out if he/she is a redfoot, or yellowfoot) but it appears he has a scab of some sort on the inside of his shell. Spike is usually so excited to be interacted with and loves to explore and be soaked. Today, i noticed he had his head tucked in most of the time during his soak and upon further investigation i found what looks like a small puncture would scab/or a scrape (perhaps from cypress mulch?). It seems to really be bothering him, and I was wondering if this is something i should have him seen for or if im overreacting. I attached a picture below, let me know what you think!!! Help me help Spike feel better!!

Attachments

• 0AB2A129-569D-415C-AF03-E5784973B88B.jpeg
    0AB2A129-569D-415C-AF03-E5784973B88B.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spike is a redfoot. There may be a sliver in the wound. Look at it under bright light or sun and if you have a magnifying glass use it. Pick around at it with tweezers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
After you do what Yvonne suggested I would dab it with some peroxide just a couple times and then put some antibiotic cream on it. Keep an eye on it and put the antibiotic cream on it daily but wiping it clean first. Do not use the peroxide daily.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Looks like it might be an ant bite. Is Spike ever outside?
There is an outside possibility that it might be a bot fly infestation.
As was mentioned, keep an eye on it and send us an updated photo in a couple of days.

jennatals

Maryland
Thank you so much to everyone!!! He is doing much better now 😊 no sign of the mark anywhere!! Thank you for the clarification about what kind of tort Spike is!! I have another redfoot, Petrie who is very red in color so I wasn't quite sure.

Spike says thank you!!! ❤️

jennatals

Maryland
Looks like it might be an ant bite. Is Spike ever outside?
There is an outside possibility that it might be a bot fly infestation.
As was mentioned, keep an eye on it and send us an updated photo in a couple of days.
He is indoor only, thanks for your help!