Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus: Ok for babies???

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi y'all,
I have a russian tortoise that is going to turn 1 on Saturday(estimated birthday) and I know that tortoises can eat it but I'm kinda worried about the fuzz on the cactus. I searched it up and people said that torts can eat the cactus fuzz but Joe is just a baby(is 1 a baby???) and I don't want him to get spikes stuck in his mouth. Can someone confirm that tortoises can eat the fuzz without any problems?

Also how do I feed it to Joe, do I just give it to him or should I cut it in half so the juice is on the outside(tell me if you don't understand what i mean)

THANKS Y'ALL I APPRECIATE IT A LOT
:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I burn or scrape the big spines and the little red ones off. Then chop up into small pieces or blend it in a food processor. Just don't process it too much, it gets really slimy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed whole pads of several of the spineless varieties to all ages and species. The tiny glocchids and little spines will not harm your tortoise. For very small babies I will sometimes cut or break the pads in half so they can get at the inside parts more easily, but this shouldn't be necessary for a yearling. Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat it right away. It takes time to get them used to any new food.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don’t do anything with the pricklies either.

I would break some off if the tortoise didn’t take to it in a day or so; get him a closer sniff at the “good” stuff. The tortoise will get around to it when he’s good and ready but I’m impatient. :)