[split] another hibernation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I hope this is a good place to throw a question in. I have been caring for a friend's DT for about four or five months now. It was almost two years old and they were given the little tortoise with no instructions on how to care for it. When they asked if I could "take a look at him," I noticed his shell was soft. After proper diet, calcium, and lighting, he's doing great. However, this is my first winter with ANY tortoises (I own a sulcata, Russian, and boxie) and want to be sure I do what is right for this little guy.

He has stopped eating and stays in his hide, so I know he is brumating (or wanting to). Should I move him to a colder part of the house and leave him until Spring (checking on him occasionally)? He is still small (approx. 4-5 inches), but much healthier than when he came to me. Shell has hardened up nicely.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I moved your question to its own thread so as to not step on Armand's toes.

If it were me, I wouldn't allow the tortoise to hibernate this winter. Because he was close to death earlier last year with a soft shell and poor care, it would be better to keep him up and try to fatten him more and make sure he's healthy enough to go dormant for a whole winter. Hibernation is pretty hard on tortoises and I don't think your baby can stand it.

If it were me, I would bring his habitat out into a warm part of the house and make him part of the family. Make sure he comes out every morning and warms up, then starts to eat once he realizes that he's out of hibernation.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
whats with my toes? xP
lol x)

If you are going to bring him inside, you will have to keep him warm enough.
Like Yvonne said, I would try my best to keep him up and skip brumating.
I have never done that... I always let my tortoises do what they feel like doing. aka: Instinct
but In your case, It will benefit the little guy.
Where do you live? how cold / hot does it gets this days? what do you feed your tortoise with?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have 2 basic rules for hibernation no new turtles or tortoises and no sick tortoises
wait make that 3 rules no tortoises under 4 years of age or so.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
wow :O
I guess I would make an exception just If I had an Ill tortoise, or something... But usually the recued Injured ones that I get, are great before brumation season x)
....I even hibernated a hatchling that came out of egg on october :p xD !

Status
Not open for further replies.