Status
Not open for further replies.

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
369.ankit said:
Hello Guys..
Today in the market i came across a Very renowned Pet Shop in ahmedabad..
I inquired about tortoise food and the incharge handed me this..
Its basically a eatable for turtle and reptiles but he said that even tortoise can have them without any problem..
M uploading couple of photos regarding the food and its ingredients..
Do lemme know what should I do..
Should i give him this...??

don't even bring that anywhere close to coco.......it contains ANIMAL flesh,,shrimp, fish meal etc........ your tortoise has never ever tasted fish in such arid areas and neither have his ancestors tasted anything like FISH or SHRIMP....where can you find fish/shrimp in the forests of gujarat or atleast the places where these tortoise reside??.....tortoises do eat carrion(animal meat) in the wild but we should not try this in captivity......... and that food is for turtles....... there is a HUGE difference between a turtle and tortoise....... try explaining that to the owner of that pet store........ and ask him one question ....!!! who has given him the permit of owning a pet shop when he knows nothing and gives wrong suggestions to costumer....... INDIAN STAR TORTOISE + FISH/SHRIMP =DEAD TORTOISE/DISASTER....... so i suggest you return it back if you have already bought it..... your tort will be as good as he will ever be on green veggies and flowers.......just be patient with him/her..... i hope you understand and don't feed that to coco......:):):tort::tort:

369.ankit

5 Year Member
Ok shanu..
Thanks for the advice..
Actually i have bought that but nevermind ill throw it away

Redari

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Star tortoises should not eat any animal protein, definitely not that much. There are some pellet type foods that are okay to feed as part of a balanced diet, if you come across them. Zoomed Grassland tortoise food, and Mazuri tortoise food.

If you see any others, make sure they contain no animal protein and no fruits. You still want to feed lots of greens though.

arotester

5 Year Member
There is no way you can get zoomed and mazuri in India unless you are ready to pay heavy import duty on that.......i tried that and it's just not feasible...and one more thing that i want to clarify here that torts will be active at certain intensity on light and temp. so mere light presence is not enough for the torts to be active(ref. above posts)

Preet917

5 Year Member
arotester said:
There is no way you can get zoomed and mazuri in India unless you are ready to pay heavy import duty on that.......i tried that and it's just not feasible...and one more thing that i want to clarify here that torts will be active at certain intensity on light and temp. so mere light presence is not enough for the torts to be active(ref. above posts)

Point already covered. Available intensity of (natural) light is location specific and hence has not been mentioned.

1) The indian star torts display activity mainly under light ( either a long tubelight used in most indian homes or natural sunlight)
When placed in a darker environment, they will almost certainly sleep, that's not to say that they won't sleep under light though.

Status
Not open for further replies.