[split] Baby sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thanks! is alfalfa in small amounts ok for hatchings? where it is high in calcium... she is basically going for the summer squash, and some carrot, and the pellets, hasnt had interest in the soft gel or romaine, im gonna get collards tomorrow at the market see how she likes those.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
RE: Baby sulcata!

Hi Annette,
Alfalfa isn't good for hatchling or adults as it contains to much protein. I would skip the pellets too, they contain to much protein also. Also no fruit. :D Try to go for mostly greens and weeds and sprinkle calcium, on what you feed, at every feeding.

Danny

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

ok thanks!
• Buffalo grass (Buchloe dactyloides)
• Bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon -- which actually originated in Africa!)
• Orchardgrass (Dactylis glomerata)
• Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii)
• Little Bluestem (Andropogon scoparious)
• Western wheatgrass (Agropyron smithii)
• Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis)
• Arizona Fescue (Festuca arizonica)
• Lawn Fescue (Festuca arundinacea)
• Sheep Fescue (Festuca ovina)
• Creeping Red Fescue (Festuca rubra)

* Dandelion -- both the yellow flowers and the leaves
* Prickly Pear Cactus pads (Opuntia species) -- You can scrape off the needles with a sharp knife or burn them off by holding the pad over the flame of a gas or propane camp stove.
* Broadleaf Plaintain or Buckhorn Plantain (Plantago major or Plantago lanceola)
* Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea grossulariaefolia) -- flowers and leaves
* London Rocket or Tumble Mustard -- leaves only; they tend to reject the flowers
* Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) -- flowers and leaves
* Hollyhock (Alcea rosea) -- flowers and leaves
* Roses (Rosa species) -- flowers only
* Sowthistle
* Chickweed
* Hibiscus (Hibiscus species) -- flowers and leaves
* Mulberry (Morus species) -- leaves only; give the mulberry fruit to box turtles.
* Geranium (Pelargonium species) -- leaves and flowers
* Grape -- leaves only; give the fruit to box turtles or make wine!

this good... found this on sulcata station... they say 75% grases and hay... and 25% flowers, and plants, very little vegis and NO fruit or pellet.... sound good..?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

Mazuri pellets are ok, but the above diet you posted is the one! mainly grazers as they get older. make sure you have a large yard avail when it gets older. and they dont hibernate, so plan a heated enclosure outside as well.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Hello and welcome to TFO!!! Your little one is so cute!! Make sure you provide a humid area, either a humid hide or moist soil, plus a water dish that only holds a little water, just enough so it doesn't go higher then where the carapace and plastron meet on her side. My little ones love dandelion greens and spring mix, you can also cut hay up really small and mix with the other food so that she gets hay, I also leave some in my enclosure at all times. I use orchard, bermuda, and timothy, the orchard is pretty soft compared to the other two, and that seems to be a favorite of my babies. Good luck with our little one and don't forget the calcium!!

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

So what would you recomend for bedding? is pete moss ok?

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

This is Liberty's new enclosure i hoping it will work for a few months....
im going to attach a second bay that will have grass growing constantly... i am starting the growing now and it will just be a large open area (like a yard) and then when she gets older she can go out side but not for a while. there is organic dirt and sand mixture, i dissided not to go with he pete moss... read up a little... and then chopped up timothy, sweet meadow, and orchard grasses, and herbs (clover etc..) and spread it around. there is a ramp she can go up,( complete with guard rail!) and a den she can hide in, and a basking area, we are going to add a uvb today when go to work i'll grab one for her that is stronger.. and ummmmm any suggestions? she is not eating the hay and grasses yet, so im still giving her a little of the mix she was getting before... I will start the fresh grasses today and she will be able to start grazing in about 4-5 days!

Attachments

• DSCN0627 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0627 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0626 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0626 (Medium).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0625 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0625 (Medium).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0628 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0628 (Medium).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN0629 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN0629 (Medium).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 27

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA

Hatchlings won't be keen on eating the grasses and hay till they get a bit older, so stick with the greens and weeds as the main diet, but add bits of grass at every feeding so she/he gets used to it. :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Your tort table for your new baby looks great. I love that you placed a ledge so it won't fall. Should do it for a while. Congrats.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have a coffee grinder and I send the hay through there until it is in tiny pieces and then I mix grass and tiny pieces of hay into the weeds and greens. That way they get some along with the other foods.

Jupiterannette

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
she is eatingthe hey redily, and doing great, temp is controled, and she id eating and drinking, im soaking her daily is that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.