[split] CHE & Light question

skully

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, US
I have a question. I have a 100w ceramic heat bulb. Does it matter how far the fixture is from the substrate since it's not a light? What about the UVB, how far should it be?

I also plan on using a 15w bulb for just light, will that matter how far?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You position the CHE to get the temperature you want inside the habitat - farther away = cooler, closer = warmer.

Most instructions on the boxes the MVB's come in say no closer than 12". Each brand is different.

I don't know about the fluorescent tubes. You have to read the instructions.

Most UVB bulbs provide plenty enough light, but if you want to add more with your 15 watt bulb, then you position the light to give you what spectrum of light you were shooting for.

skully

Indiana, US
Should I use a heat bulb for a hot spot instead? Or is using the ceramic heat bulb good for a hot spot?

What's the best heat bulb? A normal soft White House bulb or actual reptile heat bulb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
skully said:
I have a question. I have a 100w ceramic heat bulb. Does it matter how far the fixture is from the substrate since it's not a light? What about the UVB, how far should it be?

I also plan on using a 15w bulb for just light, will that matter how far?
Thanks

CHEs are best used to maintain ambient temps day and night. For this purpose they need to be set on a thermostat. Usually the height for this will need to be between 12 and 18", but your thermometer will answer that for you. If your thermostat probe is way over on one side, and the CHE is 8" from the substrate on the other, then yes, in theory, it could get too hot directly under the CHE. In that unlikely scenario the solution is to raise the CHE's fixture and move the probe closer to the heated area.

For your UVB, it depends on what you are using. If its a coil type cfl, I wouldn't use that. Too many times I have seen them damage reptile eyes. For a florescent tube, it really depends on the type. If its one of the new and improved HO types, you don't want it too close. If its the old style tube ones then you will want it closer than 12". A light meter is a handy tool for assessing this. If you are using a mercury vapor bulb, I would start at the manufacturers recommended height and adjust from there to get the right basking temperature under it in your particular enclosure.

For your 15 watt light bulb, height won't matter. Put it where you want it. Actually, come to think of it, if that one is also a coil type, I wouldn't use it. They have cfl bulbs encased in glass to resemble a typical incandescent flood bulb. One of those would be fine as the coated glass will stop and of the harmful UVC rays that these bulbs are so prone to producing.

skully

Indiana, US
I don't use coiled. Already know about them from previous pets.

So should I go buy a flood light bulb or normal house bulb for the basking spot?

I bought a 18" 5.0 reptisun UVB.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. A regular "white" light incandescent flood bulb will serve you well. I typically use 65 watt ones. These make a nice wide basking area and are hot enough, but not too hot.

That 5.0 will need to be mounted less than 12 inches away for the tortoise to get any UV benefit from it. Be sure to have a safe secure outdoor enclosure for warmer weather for your tortoise. The sun and the great outdoors knows no equal. There are several suggestion on how to do this in the links in my signature.

skully

Indiana, US
Ya I plan on giving the tortoise some time outside every day. I'm currently putting together the enclosure because s/he should be coming next week!

I'll be running to the hardware soon for a bulb then start testing temps!

What's a good humidity reader I can leave in the tank that would also measure ambient?

This is what I have done for now until I get more stuff in. I'm waiting on some fake plants to come in to add color and to provide more hiding places. I'll also be adding a flat rock right under the heat lamp once I find one.

The UVB is about 12-13in away from the top of the substrate and on the package it says it reaches 12-14 inches.

In the far left corner is the food bowl and in the center is for the water. I'll throw in a calci-bone when the tortoise gets here. The substrate is coco fiber and jungle mix.

What do you think?:tort:

Jk7DQyS.jpg

skully

Indiana, US
Tom, I bought a 65w bulb and it has only gone up to 87F so far.

What does yours read?

Ok just went and got a 90w Halogen floodlight for indoor use. That be too much ?

It's a clear bulb, will that matter?