[split] Confused about humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It sounds like you've got you question answered...so to add maybe a little problem I have. I work from 9am to 6pm Monday-Friday. I live in an apartment so I can't take him outside early in the morning. My plan is to let him roam around my apartment when I get home to stretch his legs (he has a 10 gallon aquarium at the momen...unfortunately due to size of the place I can't upgrade just yet) He's a hatchling so I purchased coconut coir for his bedding mist every morning along with a soak before I leave. My plan is to take him saturday mornings out to stroll @ my moms backyard a do his graizing there...

Does that seem okay? He's only 2 months old. Also I unfortunately can only afford a 60 watt heat bulb at the moment and have noticed from the temp gauge its around 80 degrees in the hottest spot =/ I should be able to get a better bulb and setup next week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its a mistake to allow a tortoise to roam the house. This part of my answer goes for ANY tortoise: there are too many things on the floor that your tortoise might get into trouble with and its too cold. And this part is for sulcatas especially: If you allow a sulcata to know there is a world outside his walls or fence, he will always try to get out and will never be satisfied within his confines again.

I know you said you have space restraints, but maybe you can find a spot for a larger plastic tub? They're pretty cheap and can be put almost anywhere. A baby would do just fine in a big Rubbermaid or Sterilite tub.

As for the heat and light: You can cover the aquarium with aluminum foil to keep the heat in . It will make it a lot warmer. But just as soon as you can afford it, you'd better get a UVB light or your baby is going to turn soft and die. Without UVB from either the sun or a good light, he can't make Vitamin d3 and without vit. d3, the calcium he ingests doesn't work. My favorite light is the T-Rex Active UV/heat. I buy the 100 watt bulb and it costs around $40 online.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
I think its a mistake to allow a tortoise to roam the house. This part of my answer goes for ANY tortoise: there are too many things on the floor that your tortoise might get into trouble with and its too cold. And this part is for sulcatas especially: If you allow a sulcata to know there is a world outside his walls or fence, he will always try to get out and will never be satisfied within his confines again.

I know you said you have space restraints, but maybe you can find a spot for a larger plastic tub? They're pretty cheap and can be put almost anywhere. A baby would do just fine in a big Rubbermaid or Sterilite tub.

As for the heat and light: You can cover the aquarium with aluminum foil to keep the heat in . It will make it a lot warmer. But just as soon as you can afford it, you'd better get a UVB light or your baby is going to turn soft and die. Without UVB from either the sun or a good light, he can't make Vitamin d3 and without vit. d3, the calcium he ingests doesn't work. My favorite light is the T-Rex Active UV/heat. I buy the 100 watt bulb and it costs around $40 online.

Yeah I just feel bad when i come home he's been in the tank all day and its way too cold to take him outside until Saturday and Sunday I think he wants to stretch his legs.

I have a UVB florescent tube that covers the whole tank. I just went out and purchased a 75 watt bulb and C.H.E lamp. So i'll be using that now during the day along with the UVB and switch to the red 60 watt AT NIGHT...Also maybe leave the black 50 watt heat night bulb running all day too for the cooler side. Sounds better?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to check your temps with a temp gun and a remote probe. That's the only way to know if they are good or not. Its very difficult to maintain any kind of gradient in a 10x20" tank. You need something bigger and it doesn't have to cost a lot. I breed roaches and get my 40 gallon plastic tubs at Lowes for $10-12. That will give you 36x18" roughly and be MUCH better for your tort. You should also be able to use your existing heating and lighting equipment with it.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
You need to check your temps with a temp gun and a remote probe. That's the only way to know if they are good or not. Its very difficult to maintain any kind of gradient in a 10x20" tank. You need something bigger and it doesn't have to cost a lot. I breed roaches and get my 40 gallon plastic tubs at Lowes for $10-12. That will give you 36x18" roughly and be MUCH better for your tort. You should also be able to use your existing heating and lighting equipment with it.

Yeah understandable...the thing is RIGHT NOW...i spent about $250 including the tort so my wife is going to KILL me (not literally) if she finds out I got rid of our brand new 10 gallon tank to buy a $10 huge tub and put that in our living room LOL.

I AM going to however take him out as MUCH as possible Saturdays and Sundays. STUPID me...I didn't do all this research BEFORE I bought him and bought all these things that the seller told me to buy...now I regret it all. I'll try my best to make his tank more habitable. I bought a better heat lamp last night. Changed the substrate, added a hide and water plate. I soak him in the morning (wet his shell) and when I get home from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.