[split] Help with box turtle eggs

kesh2l

5 Year Member
Hello i was wondering if you could help me. I have a three toed box turtle my son got from his grandparents in texas i live in montana we have ha this turtle since july w were under the impression it was a he but this morning when we went to feed him we found eggs and tommy went to tammy but I have no idea how to care for the eggs or even if they are fertile If you could please email me any onfo you may have i would greatly be in debt to you

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
Re: RE: Well started CB2013 Three toed box turtle hatchlings

kesh2l said:
Hello i was wondering if you could help me. I have a three toed box turtle my son got from his grandparents in texas i live in montana we have ha this turtle since july w were under the impression it was a he but this morning when we went to feed him we found eggs and tommy went to tammy but I have no idea how to care for the eggs or even if they are fertile If you could please email me any onfo you may have i would greatly be in debt to you

Incubate the eggs. You need to invest in an incubator and quickly! Also, try asking in the Box Turtle forum as we aren't allowed to talk, here.

_________
~ Shelly ~

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Do not turn them. If you have and they are over a day old or so, it may be to late. However, if you have not there are tons of incubation threads. Look for them in the top right google search at the top of this page. Any feed store will have an incubator for cheap. Keep us posted! Winter babies for you if all goes well! Good luck.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
What a fun surprise for you and your Son. I take it that you found the eggs laying on top of the soil. Odds are these eggs are not fertile, but it's worth a try. Typically, they will dig a hole/nest and cover it. Here's a link to a care sheet that includes good info about eggs and incubating them: http://www.tortoise.org/general/boxcare.html

We purchased our first Box turtle over 20 years ago from a pet store. I bought a book about them, and all the equipment I needed to set it up in our Son's Bedroom. He had previously tried to keep lizards that he'd find in the yard, and when they died his heart was shattered, so I decided on getting him something that we could care for together and was certain to live a long time with proper care. That Box turtle went to its water dish and would stay in it day after day. I spoke to the president of our local CTTC chapter (who happened to be a co-worker with me). I was very afraid that my Pet Store Box Turtle was sick and going to die. She determined that I had a female who was softening her body to lay eggs (I though good grief, I have a turtle in LABOR??? LOL), sure enough a few days later...There were eggs! We studied up, joined the CTTC to learn more and that Boxie (and several others) who are still with me today are producing babies.

Hope the care sheet helps a bunch, it sure works for me.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
I have had some experience with this as well. I incubated 4 Eastern box turtle eggs that were laid 7-7 2013 and 2 of them hatched October 5 (the other two have yet to show any hatching signs). This was my first time with eggs myself!! Here was the method I used:
1. Get a long, flat storage tub. Fill with 3-4" of water.
2. Get an aluminum baking container and fill with moist (but not wet) vermiculite.
3. Do not turn eggs. Gently place in the vermiculite, covering them with a very thin layer of it.
4. Set bricks on the bottom of the storage tub to hold up the aluminum pan.
5. Place a small thermometer in the vermiculite. Ideal temp is around 80 degrees F.
6. General maintenance may include changing the water and checking the eggs. ALWAYS keep the humidity high, but a natural temp/humidity fluctuation is good for them. If the eggs are turning colors, they probably have an embryo inside (so long as they're not rotting.) this happens as the developing egg released by-products produced from enzymes of the developing embryo. You can also use the candling method after a few weeks of incubation to see if there is an embryo developing.
7. Wait 2-3.5 months. Do not get worried if before hatching time they start to get little "nicks" in them. This occurred when my baby turtles were trying to hatch out. Do not break open the egg ever, even if you suspect one is "trying" to hatch. It is probably still developing. And never give up on the eggs! Remember, it takes a long time for it to fully develop and form.
8. If they were fertile, the final product will emerge!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383936417.175132.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936440.971893.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936453.933997.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936470.446393.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936531.612084.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936591.028199.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936663.553752.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383936682.490521.jpg
I hope this info helped. If you have any questions, please feel free to email or PM me.[TURTLE]
Good luck with the eggs! :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383936888.913089.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1383936856.615097.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1383936856.615097.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator: