[split] how's my tortoise look?

claire.petrie.7

Location (City and/or State)
Lochgelly, Fife
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393936456.444331.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393936476.106289.jpg
I just found out tortoises can grow to quick this is my horse-field does the shell look like it's growing to quickly

Sorry I don't know how to make a new post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Healthy Growth

Doesn't look bad too me. When I feed my Russians and leopard, I make sure I give them enough to fill their belles and have some left over the next morning. Tortoises will graze off and on the majority of the day. We should allow them to do this, whether it's grazing outside or giving them enough inside that they could graze off and on all day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Healthy Growth

To some degree this depends on WHAT you are feeding and how your tortoise is housed. If your tortoise has a large enclosure and is eating the right foods, (weeds and leaves) they can eat as much as they want all day everyday with no problem. If you feed grocery store lettuce and fruit, and have a small enclosure, how much the tortoise is eating should be the least of your concerns.

rebeccamurray

Hello my name is Rebecca and I live in the uk. I have just bought a horse field tortoise and has been told she is female and is roughly 3 years old. I am just looking for more information about them as I have looked up different foods for her and every website says the total opposite of the other and I'm getting really confused. I just want the best for her and to make sure she is happy and healthy. Hear is a pic, her name is tank girl! He he ImageUploadedByTortForum1394623242.524928.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum.

As Tom stated weeds and leaves are best. But realizing that in the colder months these may not be available and you do not want to hibernate your Russian unless he is well established and healthy.

For wild foods use dandelions, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and dozens of different weeds. (check some of the lists)

For grocery store sources for winter use radicchio, endive, Belgian endive, romaine lettuce, endive, collards, turnip greens, kale, etc.

Cactus is also good for them. Check list for each variety.

The most important part of your diet is variety. Do not overfeed on any one or two foods in spite of it being their favorite!
I buy two types and feed that until it's gone or no longer fresh. Then switch to two different foods. I make sure at least 3 weeks go between buying the same food. One exception is dandelions, I have these available most all year and reserve them as treats; I limit their intake of dandelions to 3 flowers per tortoise twice a week with a few leaves as available.

Good luck!