[split] Identification?

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
That is adorable!!! I also have an identification question. This tortoise is listed as a "Testudo" at pet smart. But that's not the species. Can you all help me identify.. I'm thinking Maraginated... Maybe? ImageUploadedByTortForum1390763001.171808.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Identification?

Yay so he is a russian!!! Now I have two and I can for sure house them together!!! Thank you! I could not figure it out. My russian is so lightly colored and he is so dark. :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
RE: Identification?

In spite of both your tortoises being Russian tortoises, @tortoisetime565, you very likely will end up having to house them separately. RTs are very territorial, and will end up fighting and biting, until the underdog becomes withdrawn and possibly ill.

Here's a blog post I wrote on the issues of keeping 2 RTs together: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html

tortoisetime565 said:
Yay so he is a russian!!! Now I have two and I can for sure house them together!!! Thank you! I could not figure it out. My russian is so lightly colored and he is so dark. :)

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Identification?

biochemnerd808 said:
In spite of both your tortoises being Russian tortoises, @tortoisetime565, you very likely will end up having to house them separately. RTs are very territorial, and will end up fighting and biting, until the underdog becomes withdrawn and possibly ill.

Here's a blog post I wrote on the issues of keeping 2 RTs together: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/09/why-not-to-keep-2-tortoises-together.html

tortoisetime565 said:

Okay. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep an eye on them.