[split] Male three toed box turtle-new with question

Status
Not open for further replies.

key29grl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I just got a three toed male box turtle a week ago.. I don't see him eating much bugs have been getting inside his tank i think he has been them instead of his food.. My roomate caught him eating a bug the other night is it okay??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi key29grl:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Since you posted your question on the back of someone else's thread in the "wanted" section, I moved it to the box turtle section so more folks would realize its a new question and you may get more responses.

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Its hard for us to understand what you are really asking when you don't use punctuation. If I'm understanding correctly you say you don't see your turtle eat much. However there are bugs in the habitat and could he be eating the bugs?

Box turtles eat a lot of live food. So chances are good he is eating the bugs. What types of food are you offering the turtle?

key29grl

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I feed my turtle, box turtle food, soft gel, fruit and vaggies... I know bugs have been getting inside of his tank at night but don't know how because I have screen on the tank. I think he is filling up on the bugs and just picks at his food.
emysemys said:
Hi key29grl:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Since you posted your question on the back of someone else's thread in the "wanted" section, I moved it to the box turtle section so more folks would realize its a new question and you may get more responses.

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Its hard for us to understand what you are really asking when you don't use punctuation. If I'm understanding correctly you say you don't see your turtle eat much. However there are bugs in the habitat and could he be eating the bugs?

Box turtles eat a lot of live food. So chances are good he is eating the bugs. What types of food are you offering the turtle?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That prepared turtle food is just a gimick to get you to spend your money.

Offer your box turtle a bit of fruit with some meal worms on top.

I usually put down a plate of greens (they seem to prefer red leaf lettuce), with chopped fruit on top of the greens, and a little bit of veggies on top of that. Then I'll add some worms or crickets or night crawlers on top of the pile. At first they'll only eat the bugs, but after a few days they'll start to eat the other things too.

key29grl

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
thanks I will have to try that. my local pet stores only carry crickets though if I want the other bugs I have to buy the dead ones which he does not like at all.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

My box turtles will eat fruit and veggies, but they prefer there food to be alive so its a good chance thats what your box turtle is eating.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Hi and welcome. Ask your pet store if they carry night crawlers or trout worms, and wax worms. Crickets are a good food source too. Yvonne's idea is good too. If you mix up some chopped veggies and greens in with the worms that would be good too. Can we see a picture of him. Box turtles are my favorite!

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
What kind of bugs are getting in the tank?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
My TTBT and my Ornate all love bugs!!....and worms....the bigger the better....I watched the 2 ttbt pay tug o war with one yesterday..and the ornate picks hers up and walk away quickly with it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.