[split] My 3-toe won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinagray05

5 Year Member
I have a three toed tortoise and he hasn't eaten for over 6 mths now :-( I've had him to my vet and he thinks he is just slowing down. I hav had him 15 yrs and he has never hibernated. I have been trying to get a vitamin supplement spray but having no luck!!! Anybody know where I might get?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tina, and welcome to the Forum!

Is your three-toe box turtle indoors? If so, there is something else wrong with him besides wanting to hibernate. If he's outside, then your vet is probably correct.

May we please know a bit more about your box turtle's situation?

I just re-read your post and realize you've said he hasn't eaten in over 6 months. There is DEFFINITELY something wrong. Turtles clean out their systems for 2 or 3 WEEKS prior to hibernation, not 6 months. I think its time to find a different vet.

In the mean time, buy some Gerber strained carrots. Using a tub with high sides, but a small foot print (small bottom), add warm water until it comes up to the middle of the turtle's sides. Add a whole jar of the baby food and mix it up. Leave the turtle in this soak for at least a half hour, but check on him frequently to be sure he hasn't gotten tipped over. After about 3 days of doing this every day, you should start to see a little bit of an improvement.

Please tell us how you are taking care of this turtle. If they aren't warm, they won't eat.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
What did he eat prior to his 6 month fasting? I have a ebt that didn't eat for about a month, but she was new to me and very shy. If the temps aren't high enough, and he's not getting enough quality indoor light, he will slow down. The baby food soaks did help, kind of get the body going again, but keep him warm and soaking in the food for at least 30 min. I did it for an hour. As she said before, make sure you keep an eye on him. I've actually used a baby video monitor to watch my ebt. My wife thinks I'm crazy, she's probably right. Good luck and let us know what happens after.

tinagray05

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Tina, and welcome to the Forum!

Is your three-toe box turtle indoors? If so, there is something else wrong with him besides wanting to hibernate. If he's outside, then your vet is probably correct.

May we please know a bit more about your box turtle's situation?

I just re-read your post and realize you've said he hasn't eaten in over 6 months. There is DEFFINITELY something wrong. Turtles clean out their systems for 2 or 3 WEEKS prior to hibernation, not 6 months. I think its time to find a different vet.

In the mean time, buy some Gerber strained carrots. Using a tub with high sides, but a small foot print (small bottom), add warm water until it comes up to the middle of the turtle's sides. Add a whole jar of the baby food and mix it up. Leave the turtle in this soak for at least a half hour, but check on him frequently to be sure he hasn't gotten tipped over. After about 3 days of doing this every day, you should start to see a little bit of an improvement.

Please tell us how you are taking care of this turtle. If they aren't warm, they won't eat.

Hi, yes he is indoors I had him in a vivarium but thought that was maybe th problem (not enough air circulating) so now have him in a wooden table box with heat lamp and uv light. Being honest he has never been a good eater, he ate the usual kale lettuce some fruit but just nothing now :-(.

tinagray05

5 Year Member
mchong9606 said:
What did he eat prior to his 6 month fasting? I have a ebt that didn't eat for about a month, but she was new to me and very shy. If the temps aren't high enough, and he's not getting enough quality indoor light, he will slow down. The baby food soaks did help, kind of get the body going again, but keep him warm and soaking in the food for at least 30 min. I did it for an hour. As she said before, make sure you keep an eye on him. I've actually used a baby video monitor to watch my ebt. My wife thinks I'm crazy, she's probably right. Good luck and let us know what happens after.

Hi, he ate kale lettuce and fruit, I think th vivarium hasn't helped him but will give the baby food a try thanks :)

tinagray05

5 Year Member
tinagray05 said:
Hi, yes he is indoors I had him in a vivarium but thought that was maybe th problem (not enough air circulating) so now have him in a wooden table box with heat lamp and uv light. Being honest he has never been a good eater, he ate the usual kale lettuce some fruit but just nothing now :-(.

Gerber strained carrots??? Sorry what's that? And by baby food do you mean jars of it?

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Try offering something wiggly like earthworms or superworms. Some kind of protein is required for their health. Maybe a boiled egg cut in half. 50 to 60 percent of their diet should be protein. I offer TerryO's venison and sweet potato canned dog food from Wellness. Mix it with chopped lettuces from a spring mix package and berries.

tinagray05

5 Year Member
mchong9606 said:
Try offering something wiggly like earthworms or superworms. Some kind of protein is required for their health. Maybe a boiled egg cut in half. 50 to 60 percent of their diet should be protein. I offer TerryO's venison and sweet potato canned dog food from Wellness. Mix it with chopped lettuces from a spring mix package and berries.

Ok thanks I will try that after I've tried the baby food, one thing at a time and then I will know if and what is helping him :) hope you are getting my replies :)

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Maybe PM terryo, she's the box turtle expert on TFO imo. I agree with mchong9606, try some live earthworms, it might stimulate their instinct to hunt.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
"Gerber strained carrots??? Sorry what's that? And by baby food do you mean jars of it?"

Yes, the small jars of baby food. Carrots and squash are good ones to try.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would forget the "one thing at a time" for now, and give this turtle some worms!!! Protein, and live food, are very important to a box turtle and it sounds as though this turtle hasn't had any in years.

tinagray05

5 Year Member
mchong9606 said:
"Gerber strained carrots??? Sorry what's that? And by baby food do you mean jars of it?"

Yes, the small jars of baby food. Carrots and squash are good ones to try.

Ok thanks

dannel said:
Maybe PM terryo, she's the box turtle expert on TFO imo. I agree with mchong9606, try some live earthworms, it might stimulate their instinct to hunt.

Thanks

lisa127 said:
I would forget the "one thing at a time" for now, and give this turtle some worms!!! Protein, and live food, are very important to a box turtle and it sounds as though this turtle hasn't had any in years.

Hi no he hasn't had live worms in years, he has had protein before not eating tho thank you for your input :)

Status
Not open for further replies.