[split] My Egyptian

rte123

5 Year Member
I am new to this forum and have a 3 year-old Egyptian and he/she seems to be doing well. Following the discussion above, I began to question my setup, however. I built the enclosure of wood frame and glass all around. It sets right next to a large window that gets indirect lighting (the window looks out upon a covered porch but with a high pitched roof). I kept 3 Burmese MT's and a red-eared slider for their first 4-5 yrs each in that same spot before moving them outdoors and they appeared healthy throughout, as does my Egyptian. I have tube flouresent lighting that is distributed as being for reptiles but it is not specifically UVB. It is pretty much the length of the enclosure. The heat emitter is at one end. Temp under the emitter is 106 F and it 86 F everywhere else. I have NOT varied the temperature diurnally. The breeder advised me to soak him once per week and not more often, which I have done. I used to leave a water dish in the enclosure but he NEVER partook, so I removed it. Very active in the morning until I feed him, then stays in his hide for the other 23 1/2 hours. He is the most boring of my collection. Suggestions?

samercer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elgin, IL
Maybe it's not used to you? Try playing music. Or getting it A toy? I've given my tortoise toy cars or balls made for cats. You could take it out of the tank and let it explore. Or play hide and seek with the food in its substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We don't have many Egyptian-keepers on the Forum, thus I haven't read much about them. Some tortoises are just more boring than others. But if your reference is Manouria, there's just no contest. They are totally different from other tortoises...much more personable and interesting.

billskleins

5 Year Member
I've had Egyptians for many years and have never had one that would not drink from a shallow dish.

Also my Egyptians are most active in the cooler weather of winter and early spring - they tend to sleep when warm.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have had my Egyptions for about 6-8
Months now and every day when I give them fresh water they a bent going to the bath room in it they prefer to eat in the early morning everyday were my other torts eat when ever you feed them
In my pens that are 6x 8 feet I've put
Two 2x4 's so the pen is devided into
Thirds and my torts have to climb over
Them
But I'm sorry you find them boring