[split] New here-found baby tortoise in my yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranegirl

5 Year Member
I too live in So Cal and found one baby in the yard two days ago. I dont really know what to do with it so thats why Im here. It still had yolk sack and shell attached. Im still looking for more but am afraid because the weather has turned cooler the rest wont make it. ANY advice would be appreciated. I am soaking baby and have it heated but it hasnt eaten yet. Still has not absorbed all of yolk sack yet. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Cranegirl!

Your new baby probably won't eat until all the yolk is absorbed. I wonder if you have a desert tortoise, though. Can we see a picture? Its possible that a bird dropped the baby in your yard, rather than it having been hatched somewhere in your yard. How long have you lived in that home?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! Picture would help us to I'd what you found.

Cranegirl

5 Year Member
I have adult Sulcattas that have laid eggs but never thought they would hatch by themselves without incubation, so I know its a Sulcatta. Im checking everyday for new ones but so far only one.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Cranegirl said:
I have adult Sulcattas that have laid eggs but never thought they would hatch by themselves without incubation, so I know its a Sulcatta. Im checking everyday for new ones but so far only one.

Wow... Keep lookin'.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I'm sure there's a lot more out there. Keep searching! Sulcatas are miniature tanks, they can take the cold for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.