[split] New RF Owner.... dwright27

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwright27

5 Year Member
(I tried to send this around 1am with the App but it didn't work.. so trying again from the laptop. :) )

Hey guys,
New member and new rf owner here. Just brought home a 6 month old cherry head. His tank is pretty bare but I bought more stuff for it today. I'm starting to really freak out now though because so many people seem to be anti-tank and I'm so worried of doing the wrong thing. He's in a 40 gallon Critter Cage. Melaluca substrate. Solar Glo bulb and uth. He wandered around a bit when I first put him in there but as of writing this he hasn't moved an inch in about 18 hours. He didn't eat today either. And now to find out my repti-temp is basically useless.. I'm getting very overwhelmed! I'm going to give him a soak in the morning.
I have the uth on at night as well as day. My house is cold for a tort, about 68 degrees. Some people say that's too cold, others say it isn't. Like I said, overwhelmed!
Sorry to crash this thread, seems relevant though lol. Thanks everyone

dwright27

5 Year Member
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm freaking out :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!!

A tank is perfectly fine as long as it is big enough for the size of the tortoise. When you add substrate, the under-the-tank heater doesn't really add much to the ambient air temp inside the aquarium. There are some pretty good ideas about heat ropes, etc. here at the Tortoise Library

Just remember, a tortoise is a cold-blooded animal. He needs an outside heat source to warm up. And if YOU are warm at 98.6F degrees, then I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that a temp for your tortoise somewhere between 80F and 100F is unreasonable. Just don't make the overall temp too hot, that's not good either.

So read about RF tortoises at the Library, and if you have more questions, we're here for you.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Thank you Yvonne.
I keep getting people that are telling me that I'm going to "cook" my tortoise if I keep him in a tank. It's unfortunate that I can't take the UTH off now though.. what a waste.
I have a ReptiTemp 500R sensor thing but I think I need to get something digital.. I have no idea what it's set to because it only has the coloured dial. I've use my temp gun in there a few times but from what I've read, temp guns are useless. Yet another waste *sigh* All I know is I want to get started on setting up his home better, but I don't want to put everything into the tank if I'm going to be told that he'll die in there..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I start all my youngsters out in "tanks". :D I like being able to see them and the added advantage that tanks tend to help hold in humidity. The "cooking" comes into play if you keep the temps high and there is no place in the enclosure to escape the heat. One reason I like my lights/heat sources on an end rather then in the middle. The UTH is not totally useless. While it's not going to give you heat in the air, it will help to keep that section of substrate warmer, which may help make it more humid. ;)

dwright27

5 Year Member
So.. if I do switch over to a tub, how do I make sure it stays humid enough etc? Being that my house is pretty dry, and cool, I would think that keeping him in a tub would mean it would dry out faster and also cost more to heat. There are just so many opinions out there! I thought I knew what I was doing initially but I seem to be very wrong lol.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure a lot of new owners are overwhelmed with all the conflicing information out there. Posting pictures will definitely get more people to chime in. The more details, the better (types of food given, humidity, day/night temps). Again, pictures help tons. From what I read so far, the only things I can comment on is that 68 degrees is too cold. Torts need heat to pretty much do anything like properly digest food. Also, respiratory infections can happen when you provide a lot of humidity but cooler temps. I think the low 80s should be great for ambient enclosure temps combined with 80% or more relative humidity. The other thing is that temp guns aren't useless. Since you have an uth, the temp gun can make sure your tort doesn't dig down to where he might "cook." Remember, temp guns can't measure air temps, but they can measure ground temps or the tort, itself. Hope this helps. Keep asking questions!

dwright27

5 Year Member
It's not 68 degrees in the tank during the day, but the temperature of the rest of the house is.. So even at nighttime it should be in the 80s? I don't want to give pics yet because the only things in the tank right now are a flower pot and saucer. I wanted to be sure whether to go buy a plastic tub or not before putting everything in there..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you get your tub set up, you can cover or partially cover it to keep the moisture/heat inside. To provide heat at night, we use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). It provides heat without light, but screws into a light fixture just like a bulb. Your RF tortoise can do with a bit of a cool down at night, but not much. From what I understand, the temperature is pretty steady all the time where they come from. (I don't keep RF tortoises, and haven't really researched their care. I only know what I've read here)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I just wanted to start out by saying I am glad you joined the forum to help your baby out! I have a few tips for you since I am also a Redfoot owner and have raised hatchlings. Your glass enclosure will be fine for now just make sure the little one doesn't get in the habit of constantly trying to scratch at the glass trying to get out. This kind of stress is no good for them but can be fixed by covering the tank with paper at eye level. Second off, your Redfoot needs heat, humidity and proper lighting to grow. Babies do hide a lot but it seems yours may be a little too cold if your house is in the 60s. Make sure you have your tank in the 80s during the day. There can be a hot spot below the bulb in the 90s. At night don't let it drop below mid 70s. If you are having trouble with this a Ceramic Heat Emmiter should be used. Also, during day you should have a Mercury Vapor Bulb or tube fixture to replicate natural sunlight as they need certain nutrients from these to digest their food. Lastly make sure you are keeping your little ones enclosure humid. The best way I have found is to buy a humidifier and use a tube to direct the flow into the tank. It is best to cover the top of your tank to keep humidity in, I like plexiglass. In the mean time I believe people have used tin foil or seran wrap and you can use a spray bottle to keep the humidity where it should be. Remember Redfoots should have 70%-100% humidity to prevent pyramiding.

Hope this helps!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I keep my redfoot basking spot 90-95, and the air temps in the cage at 80-85 during the day and 75-80 at night. I also keep humidity between 70 and 100%, this is easy to do if you cover over the top of the tank. As long as the tank is the right size (40 gallon for a hatchling is ok but he will need much bigger eventually) a glass aquarium is fine. The important thing is not to let it get cold and humid, that leads to respiratory problems, warm and humid is good for them but the cold will get them sick.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for all your help and understanding. I finally set up the rest of the tank this afternoon. Here it is! Sorry for crappy quality, taken with my phone lol

20130710_183106.jpg20130710_183120.jpg20130710_183200.jpg20130710_183241.jpg

So during the day, I've got a SolarGlo light on the left as well as a UTH. At night the UTH stays on and I've got a moonlight bulb for now, 60W. The amount of light it gives off is so minimal that I really doubt it's enough to bother him.

Especially since he has burrowed underneath the moss! I can't express how psyched I was to see him do that, and to see him EAT!! He munched on some chicory for a while before calling it a night.

Oh, and I bought one of these: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...22557P/Wireless+Weather+Station.jsp?locale=en but I didn't see the reviews before, lol! Anyway I need to get a suction cup so I can put the receiver in there instead of just the transmitter. Since it reads the transmitter as "outside" but it's inside the tank.. so the humidity levels it shows are for wherever the receiver is lol. I'll just have to remember to take it out when I spray the tank.

I understand that air circulation is a bit of a concern, so I'm thinking of "investing" in a small desk fan from the dollar store to keep things moving. Unless that would make things too "windy"? I just don't want him to get shell rot. I'm trying to only spray very lightly in the cool end and spray more in the hot end.

You wouldn't believe how many stores I went to today, and how stressful this whole experience has been. I might actually sleep tonight though, thanks to all of you lovely people reassuring me.

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I really like it. It's a little small, but very cozy. Lots of places to hide and feel secure. At least you know what to apply to the next, bigger area. The only thing I would try to add is a flat rock if there's room. I didn't see a food dish (oops, i see food in the back corner), but the rock would double to keep the nails/beak filed down. Good job :D

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Glass tanks get a bad rap. They are fine for raising reds and for keeping in humidity which is very important for their overall health and appearance. Just as long as he doesn't keep trying to walk through the glass, it's a great place for him. Warm and humid is great, Cold and damp is not. I think this goes for a lot of torts. Great looking enclosure, he'll be really happy with what you've provided. Keep misting him as much as you can each day with warm soaks. In my opinion, you don't need a basking light or mercury vapor bulb MVB, but you do need a UVB tube like Repti-sun 5.0 or Repti-sun 10.0 It depends on how far the tube is from the top of his shell. Most have shallow tanks and therefore 5.0 is more popular I believe. Do not use coil bulbs. They are known to cause eye problems for torts. I've read and I agree from these very forums that a redfoot doesn't sit around and bask in the sun like a leopard or sulcata would. They are out and about the forest floor getting a bit of sunshine but mostly from diffused light through the tree canopy. This is what I would try to re-create. Good luck!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
dwright27 said:
I understand that air circulation is a bit of a concern, so I'm thinking of "investing" in a small desk fan from the dollar store to keep things moving. Unless that would make things too "windy"? I just don't want him to get shell rot. I'm trying to only spray very lightly in the cool end and spray more in the hot end.

You shouldn't need a fan. I think torts and cool drafts are a no go and in that tank, even a little fan will be overkill. In closed chambers, just opening the enclosure to clean, change out water, add food, soak your guy, etc. is enough air exchange.

dwright27

5 Year Member
pfara said:
I really like it. It's a little small, but very cozy. Lots of places to hide and feel secure. At least you know what to apply to the next, bigger area. The only thing I would try to add is a flat rock if there's room. I didn't see a food dish (oops, i see food in the back corner), but the rock would double to keep the nails/beak filed down. Good job :D

Oh! Yes, I have some stones that I got at the beach, I'm gonna boil them tomorrow. I don't think I got any flat ones though.. I also got some driftwood that I'll need to bake at some point. For now it's on the porch lol. And yes, the tank isn't very big (40 gallon), but neither is the tortoise for now. He's smaller than my palm, and I have tiny hands lol. But this will work for now until I can configure this place to hold a larger enclosure. :)

mchong, this is the bulb I have in there. Heat and UV in one. http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Don't spoil the little guy TOO much! He might be small now, but living in that kush place might make him outgrow that enclosure a lot quicker lol

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello, congrats on your new fella. First off dont panic. Your 40 gal. Tank is fine for now and will be for a while. Be careful on how much of that moss he is eating. Do not use a fan for your enclosure. If you have a cover on your enclosure just remove 1/2 of it and it will get enough circulation. As far as a mercury vapor bulb, they are not necessary as long as you are feeding the proper diet. UVA/UVB bulbs are just as good. I dont use either. Redfoots do not like bright lights. Some will bask, others do not. If you put say soil down on the bottom of your tank to hold moisture then something like cypress mulch on top to keep it a little dryer you wont have a problem with shell rot/ fungus. I also would suggest getting a (che) Ceramic Heat Emitter it can be used 24/7 it doesn't give off any light, but gives off heat. I would suggest a 100w for your tank. I have the same size tank. Its what i use. It keeps mine 85*

dwright27

5 Year Member
Well, to be honest I don't know anything about mercury vapour bulbs. I just asked the guy for the kind of bulb that has full spectrum UV and heat in one bulb. But, who knows. I might eventually just go ahead and get a strip light. The temperature in there seems to be much better, now that there is some STUFF in the tank lol. He doesn't appear to be eating the moss, either. Just the chicory so far. I put a small piece of mango in there for him this morning too but he hasn't touched that yet. I may move it a little, maybe he can't quite reach it.

MAN is he a good hider though! Took me a few minutes to find him when I last went in to see what he was up to lol. He's hiding behind the pothos in the shade. :)

Is it necessary to tear up his food into teeny tiny pieces? I tear it up pretty small but not sure if it's small enough. I have seen him using his front feet to kind of hold the leaves down so he can bite off a piece.

Have I mentioned how freakin' cute they are when they eat?!

Oh and right now I have a wooden shelf as a "roof" on the tank. It's open at the hot end and there is a small gap on the cool end. I just move it over a little at night for the moonlight bulb. I may still get another CHE but I want to see how this goes. I have a CHE for my skink that I don't use very often, but it's a large one, being used on a 75 gallon tank.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I like to switch it up. I slice things fine when I mix it in with mazuri. Most of the time, though, I just leave them with big pieces/whole leaves. I figure they need all the exercise they can get. And yes, it's super adorable when they eat.. but only if they let you watch :D

Status
Not open for further replies.