[split] new sulcata keeper with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karam319

5 Year Member
Hi. I have a 12 year old sulcata named Pokey that I adopted 5 years ago. I got her from a family that could no longer take care of her. Like many people, they got her as a hatchling for their children and couldn't handle her when she got bigger. I live in Iowa, and keeping Pokey is a challenge, but I love it. She is about 50 pounds and has some significant pyramiding from poor nutrition. From April-November she lives in an outdoor enclosure. From November-March she lives in my basement. I know this is not ideal, but we make the best of it. I joined this forum when I read a post about another person in a northern state who was adopting a sulcata. I appreciated the helpful people who responded to their questions. I could also use ideas to make Pokey happier and healthier. I don't know anyone who has a sulcata and all my information on them comes from the internet. I look forward to talking to other sulcata owners and getting some "expert" advise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Karam319

133082mpyigz0o6e.gif

to the wonderful world of sulcatas in cold weather! And to the forum!!

I live in the part of the country that has pretty mild winters, so my Dudley, appx. 100lbs, lives outside all year round. But he has a heated dog house for the cooler nights.

I can't imagine lugging Dudley up out of the basement! I can barely push, encourage, threaten, shove him into the shed when he hasn't gone in by himself! Good luck with that. But you aren't the Lone Ranger. There are plenty of sulcata-keepers who winterize their sulcatas in the basement.

How cold does an Iowa winter get? Would a heated outdoor shed be feasible?

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the group! Sounds like you have an adventurous life. I would love to hear more about Pokey. I know another tortoise with that name. That's awesome. What do you do for humidity indoors when heat is on in the basement? Lack of humidity has most currently been shown to be the primary cause of pyramiding, although poor diet and lack of exercise are secondary causes. Is Pokey's new growth looking better? We love pictures! Best wishes.

Karam319

5 Year Member
I keep Pokey in a part of my basement where I over-winter many plant under grow lights. I try to keep a few hibiscus for winter treats. I also grow a tortoise blend of grasses in flats. I have a turtle tank in the corner for my red-eared slider, and my washing machine is at the other end of the basement. My point is that all those things create pretty good humidity. It never goes below 50%. She does lack exercise in the winter, especially in late winter and early spring. She seems to get depressed around then.

Status
Not open for further replies.