2022[split] concern with egg laying/digging

alfies mom

5 Year Member
hello there i think i may hsve jumped into the forum under the wrong heading but i have tried to post and it would not go, i am concened about my spur thighed female 35+ every year she lays a clutch of unfertilized eggs, sometimes she needs dose of oxytocin, which she did this time, she laid 7 eggs, but is still tryig to dig into the ground with back legs, i go back to the vet for an x-ray but no more eggs, she is hardly eating and this is a month on, i bath her every day please advise me , i hae had her for most of her life ,and i love her desperatly.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Wow, she must be a big girl! If she is still digging, she thinks/feels she still has eggs. Mine has done that a few times and I have learned to leave her alone until whe is totally done and walks away form the nest on her own. Otherwise she just keeps digging/covering up whereever she is just like she was still sitting over the nest. I'm not really sure what you can do in this situation other than wait until her egg sensation goes away. Keep soaking, hydrating and feeding and hopefully she will snap out of this quickly and get back to normal. :)

alfies mom said:
hello there i think i may hsve jumped into the forum under the wrong heading but i have tried to post and it would not go, i am concened about my spur thighed female 35+ every year she lays a clutch of unfertilized eggs, sometimes she needs dose of oxytocin, which she did this time, she laid 7 eggs, but is still tryig to dig into the ground with back legs, i go back to the vet for an x-ray but no more eggs, she is hardly eating and this is a month on, i bath her every day please advise me , i hae had her for most of her life ,and i love her desperatly.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Oh wow I feel for you. I would feel very desperate too. My prayers are with you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
+1 on what Greg said. She's in the zone and has to get that out of her mental system.