[split] new tortoise doesn't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jale10103

5 Year Member
I just got my new female tortoise yesterday at petsmart and she's pretty small. She isn't eating and is only staying on one side of the cage. I'm also concerned that the heat bulb I have isn't enough watts. I have a 40g tank so if anyone knows how to help me that would be awesome!eating and is only staying online side of the Tank. I'm I have a 100w bulb and a 40g tank. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, jale10103!

Have you measured the temperatures on the floor of the habitat? Steppe tortoises like it a bit cooler than other desert-type tortoises, so around 90-95F directly under the light is good, and fading to around 80F on one end with room temp on the other end.

You're right in assuming that a cold tortoise won't eat, however, new tortoises also don't eat right away. It takes a few days for them to acclimate. So put the food down, place the tortoise in front of the food, then quickly step out of her sight.

jane_goblin

5 Year Member
When I got my baby Russian, he/she refused to eat too. I think it's because of all of the excitement. They get a bit shaken up when there is a new home and everything. They also sleep a lot at first. In a day or two mine started eating and sleeping normally.
And they usually like the hot side a lot more than the cooler side. :D

jale10103

5 Year Member
How hot do you usually have your warm side? I'm not sure if my thermometer is messed up but mine is at 75. I might need a more powerful bulb. Any thoughts?

jale10103

5 Year Member
jane_goblin said:
When I got my baby Russian, he/she refused to eat too. I think it's because of all of the excitement. They get a bit shaken up when there is a new home and everything. They also sleep a lot at first. In a day or two mine started eating and sleeping normally.
And they usually like the hot side a lot more than the cooler side. :D

Thank you I feel better now! When did u start letting it out if the tank to walk around?

mrs strong dozer

5 Year Member
Also may want to take to vet to have check out. It really isn't that expensive ensure they weigh, check stool, and eyes nose ect
We too got ours from pet store but dozer got clean health clearance which helped ease some of our worries

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would not encourage you to let it out to walk around.. if you build a secure outdoor habitat that is fine,, but not to just walk around the house..not warm enough or safe and it just confuses them..
let her settle, watch, dont pester and be sure she starts to eat in a few days.

jane_goblin

5 Year Member
My hot side is at 95. I let Goblin start walking around the first day but he wasn't vey active so I let it wait. A few days later(about three) I tried again and he/she loved walking around in the grass. Now I let my tort run around everyday. Remember to keep a VERY close eye on her! ;)

mrs strong dozer said:
Also may want to take to vet to have check out. It really isn't that expensive ensure they weigh, check stool, and eyes nose ect
We too got ours from pet store but dozer got clean health clearance which helped ease some of our worries

Yep. ;) I brought mine to the vet and the vet gave me good information. I recommend doing this as well.

For the heat lamp I use a 50w Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp. The bulb is in a Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp. :)

image-3221045775.png

Try putting the thermometer close to your tortoise's shell height. That will be more accurate.

image-3313108045.png

jale10103

5 Year Member
Is it unusual that she keeps walking towards the glass like she can leave? She's been doing it for awhile. And lastly what is the max temp that the warm side should be at? Thank you all for all your support.

RT_Novice

5 Year Member
jale10103 said:
Is it unusual that she keeps walking towards the glass like she can leave? She's been doing it for awhile. And lastly what is the max temp that the warm side should be at? Thank you all for all your support.

It's not ideal to put a RT on a transparent enclosure because they think that it's not there, that's why your RT keeps walking towards the glass. From reading a lot about RTs and tortoises in general they need a lot of floor space not depth, so a an aquarium is not really preferred, also I read that an aquarium isn't properly ventilated for a RT. If you can you should return it and buy a a mixing tub like this or even bigger if you can find one. As people said it takes for a new tortoise awhile to acclimate to new environment, and thus won't eat for a while or juts be lazy in general. I know it's hard but don't bother it for a few days ie no peeking , no picking it up unless you have to for daily bath(only do this for a new tortoise for a week or so). Please someone correct me if I made a mistake on some of my advices.

RT_Novice

jane_goblin

5 Year Member
Try putting a dark colored rim around the bottom of the tank that goes up a few inches. I am going to try that because I've noticed that my tortoise has been doing the same thing.
Also, I would say (but I'm not sure) that 95-100 is the MAX basking temp. I keep my tort's from 90-95.
By the way, a lot of this info you can get from the book "Russian Tortoises" by E. J. Pirog :D

tickle

5 Year Member
Get he picture paper the use for fishtanks and cover up to 6 inches of the bottom this wiill keep him/her at ease

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Oops... I've been letting my girls (ages 10 and 12) take the tortoises out and put them on the carpeted floor for short periods. I'll put a kabash on that. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.