[split] new user

howina2004

Hello, I am new to forums (in general) and have just recently acquired a male Russian tortoise(this week) that we've named LEO. I'm looking forward to learning from some experienced Russian tortoise owners. I live in Wisconsin, and my name is Ashley. currently i am wondering how to create more humidity in my enclosure and increase the head in the basking area. Right now i am using coconut coir and sand mixture for my tort. it's sitting at 30% also the heat in my basking side is sitting at 85 degrees. Any suggestions?? Also the substrate seems to be sticking to Leo, is there something else i should be using.....I don't want to keep adding water to the substrate because i have heard conflicting view points. is cypress mulch better?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ashley welcome to the TFO from AZ . First pack the substrait down that way it don't move around as much .
We like Picts , if you send spicy of the enclosure we will help ya and of corse .

Not spicy ( my phone ' s spell check is crazy) I ment pictures

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ashley, and welcome to the Forum!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Welcome Ashley. To help with your humidity, if your enclosure isn't covered, cover half of the top. This can easily be done with foil or what ever you have handy that won't pose a fire risk. Also, removing the sand mixture would help. Sand contributes nothing of real value and can cause real medical problems of impaction when consumed.
Many use straight coco core. I use a 50/50 by volume mix of organic top soil and organic peat moss. If using top soil, make sure it contains none of those white balls or other white fluffing agents. Tortoises find these white things wonderful things to eat, and again, this will lead to impaction. Ask questions, and we will all do our best to help you out.
Have you seen the section of the forum specifically geared towards russian tortoises? Lots of really good, valuable information over there.