[split] New with an egg question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kposadas

5 Year Member
:( hello everyone i have a box turtle name donatella and about two weeks ago she started laying eggs the problem is that i've never had a turtle before let alone eggs of any kind, i dont know how to take care of them at all & i think the eggs have collapsed but i am not 100% sure, what should i do? please help me :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi kposadas:

(is your username a take-off from que pasa?)

Welcome to the Forum!!

I've moved your question off of amberlove.jean's thread so that you're not hi-jacking her thread with your question. Also, more people will realize that its a new question and you'll receive more attention.

Is Donatella with a male turtle? If not, the eggs probably aren't fertile. If yes, then (its too late now because they've already collapsed) you take the eggs and put them into a small tub of moist soil or perlite or vermiculite and set it in a warm spot to hatch them. But they collapse if they're not kept moist enough. They also collapse when they're not fertile.

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It's not too late if they aren't totally collapsed. Put them in water that comes 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the height of the egg, and they'll often swell back up. Dot the top of the egg with a permanent marker and always keep that side up. Never turn it. Put the eggs in a small plastic tub (poke holes in the sides, high up) with a lid and moist vermiculite (you can find it at home depot in the garden section). I put the vermiculite in the bottom of the tub about a half inch deep, and drizzle with water all over to wet it. If you can see water puddle in the corner when tipped, it's too much water, and you'll need to carefully pour off the excess water. Then, nestle the eggs down in it, and try not to let the eggs touch each other.

In your specific case, add lots of water til it puddles. As soon as the eggs have swelled, and the dents are gone, set the eggs out, being careful not to turn them, and pour the water out til it no longer puddles. Then put the eggs back in.
Keep in a warm place, never in direct sunlight. If you want to go more complex, float the container like a boat in a bigger tub or an ice chest (also with lid to keep in humidity), partly filled with water. Put a small submersible aquarium thermometer in the water and set at 85 degrees. The lid may not fit tightly due to the thermometer cord but that's ok.

Check on your eggs once a week. Open the lid of the egg container and look carefully for dents. Unfortunately, they usually form on the underside, so look closely. This will also give the eggs fresh air, and prevent the low oxygen environment that causes split scutes. To any eggs that start to dent, drip several drops of water on it with your fingertip, and check again daily until the dent is gone.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.