[split] new with light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueoval1968

5 Year Member
Hello all. Might be a dumb question here but I bought the zoo med reptisun desert compact fluorescent uvb would that be to much for a Russian in a 24'' X 36'' setup?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Blue!

No, its not a dumb question, but because your question wasn't talking about the original poster's problem in that thread, I've moved it over here where it stands alone. This way more people will realize that a new question has been asked, and you don't hi-jack the other thread.

A lot of us here on the forum don't use the compact bulbs. They can/might cause eye problems with your tortoise. The type you've bought is not as bad as the coil type, but you have to mount your bulb horizontally, like in an aquarium hood. The UV rays are concentrated out the end of the tube and might be harmful.

Alb317

5 Year Member
blueoval1968 said:
Hello all. Might be a dumb question here but I bought the zoo med reptisun desert compact fluorescent uvb would that be to much for a Russian in a 24'' X 36'' setup?

10.0 uvb is a little too much and i have been reading about it harming other owners torts. i use uvb but its the tropical 5.0 for my redfoot. you could use a 5.0 and supplement outside time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't use any compact flourescent or coil type. The compact for every day house hold use, like for lamps are even found to cause human eye problems. Most likely the ones for reptiles will too, no matter how they are installed and no matter what the manufacturer say, I wouldn't use them

Status
Not open for further replies.