[split] new with question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie3566

5 Year Member
Hi thinking of getting a Herman is it a good starter tortoise ?any tips you can give me also iv been told a tortoise table is best for this breed is this correct :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RE: Hello new Hermanns keeper

Angie3566 said:
Hi thinking of getting a Herman is it a good starter tortoise ?any tips you can give me also iv been told a tortoise table is best for this breed is this correct :)
In my opinion (and other Hermann's keepers)-the best! Eastern and Dalmatian Hermann's are probably the most adaptable species to a variety of different environmental conditions as long as the basic requirements are met.
A tortoise table is really nothing more than a box. The simple design works very well for a variety of species. Depending upon how well the room that the tortoise is kept in retains heat and humdity you may need to have the tortoise enclosure covered.
For babies medium size Rubbermaid type containers (sweater boxes) work better until the tortoise gets larger. It is easier to control heat and humidity in these size containers.

Tort5680

5 Year Member

GBtortoises said:
In my opinion (and other Hermann's keepers)-the best! Eastern and Dalmatian Hermann's are probably the most adaptable species to a variety of different environmental conditions as long as the basic requirements are met.
A tortoise table is really nothing more than a box. The simple design works very well for a variety of species. Depending upon how well the room that the tortoise is kept in retains heat and humdity you may need to have the tortoise enclosure covered.
For babies medium size Rubbermaid type containers (sweater boxes) work better until the tortoise gets larger. It is easier to control heat and humidity in these size containers.
I agree with GBtortoises
Hermanns are a lot more adaptable and harder little tortoise to look after. Since my torts have been living outside they have thrived and are a lot happier. tortoise tables are ok when they are wee babies the bigger the better.

Angie3566

5 Year Member

GBtortoises said:

Thanks very much, I might need more info before I buy, I'm the sort of person who likes to know as much as possible before I get something. What age is considered a baby cause I was thinking of getting a one year old

Angie3566

5 Year Member

Tort5680 said:
I agree with GBtortoises
Hermanns are a lot more adaptable and harder little tortoise to look after. Since my torts have been living outside they have thrived and are a lot happier. tortoise tables are ok when they are wee babies the bigger the better.

Thanks a lot the mote advice the better

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Angie3556:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Its always a good idea to start your own thread when you have a question that doesn't pertain to the original poster's thread. So I've moved your question out. This way more people will know that there's a new question for them to look at.

Is your name "Angie"? And may we know appx. where you are located?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State

Angie3566 said:
GBtortoises said:

Thanks very much, I might need more info before I buy, I'm the sort of person who likes to know as much as possible before I get something. What age is considered a baby cause I was thinking of getting a one year old
Generally people consider "baby" Eastern & Dalmatian Hermann's any tortoise from just out of the egg up to about 3-4" in size. What is perceived as a baby varies among keepers. To me a baby is anything up to about 3.5-4.5" which after that could be considered a subadult (kind of the teenage years). But I also use the term "hatchling" a lot, as do other people. That could mean a tortoise minutes out of the egg up to a few months old. To some people maybe even up to a year old.
There are no clear verbal definitions in relation to age, a lot of terms are very loosely used to describe a young tortoises "age". It's probably better to go by the size of a tortoise in inches or centimeters than by a verbal age.

Status
Not open for further replies.