[split] new with questions about outdoor pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi my name is Donna & I have 2 russian Torts they are 7 months old. I have been researching & researching & doing more research...I am sooo confused as to what I should use to make an outdoor pen for m torts. I live in NJ and just want something that they can go out in, in the spring and summer. My yard is chemically treated so I can't put them in the yard. I would prefer to make an enclosure ontop of my deck. I prefer to have the enclosure raised so I have easy access to them.
I have read about the concerns of treated, & painted wood. Soo, my ultimate questions is..can I make an outdoor enclosure out of plastic bins? I was thinking the christmas tree size and attaching at least 4 of them together. OR there is a product called AZEK & Lowes & Home depot carries it. We have used this material in place of wood for many outdoor things. It is white and sold in different widths and has many uses! You can even special order it in sheets. One side has a wood grain & the other side has a smooth finish. It can also be painted if you prefer. However, If plastic is okay for an outdoor pen I'd much rather use it.
So please give me your feed back on using plastic for an outdoor pen.
I REALLY want to get started on making one & I am sooo confused as to what to use:([/font]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Donna:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

While being set up outside for sunshine is a good thing for tortoises, its also desirable for them to be able to forage around through the plants for food. Would you be able to provide forage for the tortoise if you set it up in some sort of bin?

You can make your outdoor pens out of whatever material you want...wood, plastic, metal...whatever works for you. We usually don't like to use pine SHAVINGS as substrate, but pine wood for walls to an enclosure is just fine.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
think raised garden and go from there.. russians are escape artists! so the walls will have to be tall enough and with a lip so they cant limb out. or build a enclosure out in the yard if its safe to do so... i have one russian and he is in a 4x8 area...
This time of year the Garden centers are starting to put there garden things on the floor... go look and cruise the Enclosure section here for ideas..
If you post a picture of the area you are thinking of building, we can help you imagine!

plywood works to.. or do the bookshelf idea...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Just an idea. How about a area made with cinder blocks?
You can put down one row and then add a pond liner and then stack another row to hold the liner in place. Cap the top and corners so they can't escape.

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi & Thank you for replying!
My plan is to make the outdoor enclosure very large. I am planning on using the russian seed mix (from Carolina Pet) and planting many plants.

I actually have two large bins of the Russian Tort seed already started.
The instructions say to wait 6 weeks before allowing the the turtles to graze.
Both my husband & I are very handy & I am really looking forward to this project!
I thank you all for any help/advise you can give me.:)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Wood or blocks will in the long run, withstand weather conditions better than a plastic container which eventually breaks down due exposure to UV. Pressure treated wood is absolutely fine for a tortoise enclosure. I have used nothing but pressure treated wood for over 25 years for my outdoor enclosures, without a single problem of any kind. It (treated wood) is also used by many people for raised bed gardens, childrens sand boxes and more.
Cement blocks work fine but take up more area, add weight and are moveable if struck from the side, (unless mortared). Along with the weight of the soil, the additional weight of the blocks need to be considered if you're planning on building it on your deck. On a concrete pad or on the ground the weight is not a concern. Any plastic container or liner should have several holes in the bottom to allow rain water to drain away.

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you ALL for our advise! I am planning on using the Russian Tort seed mix, which I already have started in 2 large bins since the directions suggest that you wait 6 weeks after they sprout to allow before the trutles could graze.
I was also going to plants lots of plants!
I am currently pricing the builging materials to see what will be cheaper in the long run. I'm thinking 6 x 8 for the overall size.
As soon as I learn how to post pictures I will show you what I have done to the 2 indoor enclosure that I already have.
I'm pretty crafty & the the enclosure that I have at school, I think came out awesome!
I used poster board & glued desert pictures to it and then went to staples & had teh wholes sheet laminated. It made the inside of the plastic bin higher & the laminate has held up GREAT with all the humidity & heat!
Keep your suggestions comming!
Thank ou sooo much!
I LOVE this forum!

Donna

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi and thank you for the info!
I have a few questions for you if you don't mind.
1. Should I paint the pressure treated wood or use as is?
2. If yes to painting it what should I use?
3. Should I drill holes in the bottom for drainage?

I appreciate your advise/help!
Donna

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately, I do not know how to put pictures on! :( My son is away & when he has time he will help me. I have alot of pictures to share.
My turtles name is Tallulah Belle & my sons is Quincy Magoo. LONG story.
Hopefully soon he will help me & you can see pictures of them soon.
Thank you!

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you!
I find this forum VERY informative! Sooo much so, that its addicting! I have learned sooo much.
Thank you for welcoming me!
Donna:)

Donna C Kelly

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you for the info. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions with regard to using pressure treated wood for me.

Should the wood be cured before I make the enclosure OR can I just buy the wood, and when the enclosure is finished fill it & add the turtles?

Do you use a liner, if so what kind? Do you drill holes etc. etc.
I am considering using pressure treated & would like to start this weekend!

I thank you sooo much for your advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.