[split] new with questions about russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nboden

5 Year Member
I am new to rescuing a Russian tortoise. I currently have a basking light and a coil uv light. Lately he is just staying in his hut and not coming out to eat. I was looking at switching to a mvb to see if that helped since so many people recommend it. I know they are more expensive so a friend told me that lowes sells mvb lights. I didn't know if those would be ok to use since they were cheaper. Also any other ideas on why she would not come out and eat?

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
RE: MVB bulb solar-glo or power sun

Nboden said:
I am new to rescuing a Russian tortoise. I currently have a basking light and a coil uv light. Lately he is just staying in his hut and not coming out to eat. I was looking at switching to a mvb to see if that helped since so many people recommend it. I know they are more expensive so a friend told me that lowes sells mvb lights. I didn't know if those would be ok to use since they were cheaper. Also any other ideas on why she would not come out and eat?
that happen to me to after adopting my russian tortoise for couple of time, i suggest by soaking her in a warm bath for 10-20 minutes and bring her out for sunshine. if it didn't work for days. maybe she have parasites inside her and need vet attention

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nboden and welcome to the Forum!

Do you know the specifics about the light that Lowe's sells? I'm curious about them because the ones for reptiles are SO expensive.

Also, the coil bulb is no good and might be one reason the tortoise wants to hide.

Please read this:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-59575.html#axzz2DTc0963B

Nboden

5 Year Member
It is a 100 w mercury vapor bulb. It doesn't say much on the package. It is an indoor/outdoor light says it has 18,000 hours. And it says it has the uv radiation so humans shouldnt be directly exposed to the light for long periods. Other than that it doesn't say much.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I wouldn't risk it - there isn't enough info on there, and it may hurt your tortoise. A lot of folks here on the website swear by the SunForce Mercury Vapor bulb: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Sun-Force-Mercury-Vapor-Bulbs?sc=2&category=20 which costs $30 instead of the $80 or so of the Powersun.
Alternatively, the ExoTerra Repti Glo 10.0 is a good source of UVB, too. That's what I use, and I buy it on eBay. You'll need a separate basking heat lamp (which is cheap).

I have rescued several Russian torts - feel free to read my blog (signature) and I am happy to answer questions.

Good luck!

Nboden said:
It is a 100 w mercury vapor bulb. It doesn't say much on the package. It is an indoor/outdoor light says it has 18,000 hours. And it says it has the uv radiation so humans shouldnt be directly exposed to the light for long periods. Other than that it doesn't say much.

Status
Not open for further replies.