[split] Nighttime bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

carliedash

5 Year Member
I have a question about my heat lamp-

I have a UVB bulb in my new setup that's on a timer- so it goes off at night. On my tort's basking end I've got a heat lamp to keep it nice and toasty. It's not on a timer because don't want the temps to drop too much at night.

Am I doing that right? Is it okay to let it get a little chillier at night and cut off the heat lamp? Should I leave it how it is? Or do I need to get a separate night bulb and set up more timers?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
RE: Nighttime bulb

I have heard that they should get total darkness at night. I have taught myself how to be comfortable at 75 - 78 degrees so I can do that. I am not sure what I am going to do come winter, but I may just have to get some CHE.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All lights should go off at night. Use CHE's (ceramic heat emitters) for night time heat. It depends on your species and its age, how low the temps should be at night.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Unless the temperatures that your Russian tortoise are exposed to are colder than about 52 degrees at night there is no reason to have a night time heat source for this species. In fact just the opposite. There should be at least a 15-20 degree temperature differential between night time and ambient daytime temperatures.
Russian tortoises are a temperate climate (seasonally & night cold) species. Keeping them too hot consistently will cause your tortoise to aestivate frequently and/or possibly grow at an accelerated rate causing permanent deformiities.

carliedash

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Unless the temperatures that your Russian tortoise are exposed to are colder than about 52 degrees at night there is no reason to have a night time heat source for this species. In fact just the opposite. There should be at least a 15-20 degree temperature differential between night time and ambient daytime temperatures.
Russian tortoises are a temperate climate (seasonally & night cold) species. Keeping them too hot consistently will cause your tortoise to aestivate frequently and/or possibly grow at an accelerated rate causing permanent deformiities.

Thanks so much! Very helpful :) I will just put his heat light on a timer and not get a CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.