[split] question about sulcata attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I might have the most "anti Sulcata" Sulcata known.

I'm sorta sad about it. I'm sure many of you recall earlier this summer, a lady brought into the veterinary hospital I work for an adult Sulcata with a badly injured beak.

I've had him for several months now and he's still very, very shy, reserved, hides, won't take food from me, is very picky about what he eats (despite his mangled beak).

I believe he's in excellent health now. Lives outdoors all day, heat pad at night and has gained weight and shell looks better since I got him. He's opened up to me only somewhat. But he really acts like a wild animal, not a happy and hungry Sulcata I see on videos begging for food.

I try to be slow, gentle, make sure he knows I'm coming or picking him up (which I really limit), I feed him a variety, which he will eat eventually..always in the same location in the yard by the back door.
Could he have reverted to feral while on his own (girl found him on highway).

I think I need some help with this guy. Medically he's healthy. Emotionally I think he needs our help, I'm very sad. He doesn't seem UN-happy...just he's not at all an outgoing food motivated Sulcata I read and watch online.

Tom, I want a baby so I CAN have a fun, big giant bulldozer Sulcata! I am in love with this sp.

Yvonne, if you feel it might help, split this thread. I dunno. It's early, I'm tired and looking for help for my buddy, Mo. I love him so much.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: seemingly aggresive sulcata, is this normal?

SenjiSandy said:
Anyone? Suggestions? Behavior insight?

This should really go on a new thread.

Some of them are shy like this. Most of them are a bit shy until about 3 years old. It's more common for females to be less outgoing, but there are exceptions all around.

Letting them get hungry and then hand feeding will often give them a positive association with people and desensitize them to humans and their activities.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
seemingly aggresive sulcata, is this normal?

Unsure his age...his about 10 inches long, and 6 lbs.
maybe just him...a mellow, shy guy. I'm ok with that.

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.