[split] questions about my Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertietoise

5 Year Member
Hi I also have a baby horsfeild I have been told he is between 12 - 16 months. He doesn't eat much but seems to be partial to carrot. I have him in a vivarium and I put the lights on at 8.00am and turn off at 8pm I turn the basking light down at 8pm. Is this ok as he does not seem that active during day. I have had him 10 days and bathed him once yesterday ( I was not aware I had to bath him). I have put him on the floor in the lounge to try and get him active but he just wee's on it and tries to hide. Is this all normal.

Attachments

• image-1912498804.png
    image-1912498804.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image-1118909592.png
    image-1118909592.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 19

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi bertietoise, and Welcome!!

Its always a good idea to start your own thread when you are posting something that is NOT a response to the original poster's question or comment. So I've moved your post over her to its own thread. This way you don't hi-jack Tinkerbelle's thread, and more people will realize you've asked your own question and will respond to you.

Here's a link to a good care sheet for your steppe (russian) tortoise.

One thing that stands out for me is the fact that your baby prefers carrots. Tortoises that are captive in a man-made habitat can only eat what you feed them. If you stop feeding carrots, he will get hungry enough to eat other foods that are better for him. I've copied off some of the things from the care sheet shown above:

Most grocery stores have a decent selection of greens that Russians readily eat. Ideally the greens should be organic and pesticide free. However this is the real world and not all tortoise keepers have access to "ideal" food. So, I have this section as a starting point for a varied diet. The following greens are easily found in my local stores:
Romaine lettuce (fed on occasion)
Red and green leaf lettuce (fed on occasion)
Endive
Escarole
Radicchio
Chicory
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Kale
Collards
Spring Mix (mixed salad greens)
cabbage (fed on occasion)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would also get him of the pellet substrate, the worst thing you could use. Also, what are your temps. The enclsoure looks a little small and square. It may be too hot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, I too would change the substrate to coco coir or peat moss or even good ole fashion clean dirt....or an organic soil...

Is that a long tube uva/uvb light? How far away from the tortoise is that light? What type of heat element are you using along with the long tube uva/uvb bulb?

bertietoise

5 Year Member
Hi. I will change the substrate at the weekend. The vivarium is 23 inches by 18 inches at the moment I do not have room for a larger one. The UVB strip is right along the back and Bertie normally sleeps near the front. I could turn the other bulb down what temperature do u suggest?
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.