[split] Russian Still Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosa

5 Year Member
need help

hi,

I got my russian turtle a week ago. But my turtle will sleep on the corner, and when i show him romaine lettuce or tomatoes he will shake his head as saying he doesnt want it. I really am new so i dont know how much food to give. my turtle is not a year old yet. And i really dont know how to make a side hotter or coller or to put inj right temperature. pLEASE HELP. I dont want it to die. But he does like eating peaches but I cant give it to him all the time.

tosa

5 Year Member
hi,
I got my russian tortoise a week ago and he only eats fruits. And he mostly sleeps if I leave him in his cage. Should I be worried.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi, welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS around here :p

Well, to better help you out may we please see a picture of your beautiful tortoise and your tortoise enclosure? The pictures will let us help you out much easier---sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words......

Fruit should be a treat type food and not a regular part of your tortoise diet....also, if you feed him fruit all of the time he will then not want to eat the stuff that is good for him....:D

tosa

5 Year Member
I dont know how to upload pictures. And I think you need a membership

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It does take a tortoise awhile to settle in. They can go awhile w/o food.

However,
He will not stay healthy on fruit. They love it, just like we like candy, but it doesn't have the right nutrition. Offer it rarely.
They need dark leafy greens and weeds like Chicory, Dandelion, Mallow, etc.
Get some spring mix (w/o no or minimal Spinach if possible, but some is OK) and offer this as a base. Mist it with water.

Soak your tortoise in a shallow dish with warm water to the bottom of his shell for a few days then 1-2x per week. He may not like it much, but it helps keep him hydrated.

What is the size of the enclosure. You are right, temps are very important.
They need a warm/basking side and a cool side (the temperature of your house). if they get too cold or hot, they won't eat.

Here is more information:
http://russiantortoise.net/

Go to the 'Diet' section. You may have some of the flowers and weeds in your back yard.
Then go to the 'Care' section and scroll down to using a Rubbermaid container for an enclosure. Fairly inexpensive at places like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Good luck!

tosa

5 Year Member
hey guys,

Thank you for your advice, it helps alot. Hes eating now but only lettuce, he wont accepr anything form that . Should I be worried. And also he would go to the corners and try to get up. And he keeps hurting himself. i though because the tank is small, but I put him on my living room floor and he does the same thing in every corner. Please help again. Thanx :tort:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What kind of enclosure is he in? They will often try to climb out, often in a new home at first, but it can be a lot worse in a smaller enclosure, especially if it is an aquarium.
(They do like to roam, and will often test the edges of any enclosure, even if large.)
However, if the enclosure is small, he may be too hot. That is why checking temps is important.
Use something like this and move the sensor piece around to different areas:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16888921?...&wl3=13695547750&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem&veh=dat

Can you post pics of your set up?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-to-post-pictures-in-your-forum-posts--5245#axzz26Jsk4H5m

Offer him Spring mix (they come in bags). Don't offer plain lettuce like iceberg, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.