[split] Shell problem

kassijo3432

Hello,
I have a Russian tortoise I've owned him for about 5 years now. Towards the beginning when I got him I was feeding him ice burg lettuce (dummy me) I didn't know it had no nutrition. Well over about two months I realized he had what looked like a crack on the stomach of his shell. I took him to the vet and sure enough it was a crack from malnutrition. That was about a year ago. Sense then I've been feeding him a variety of things he is a picky eater but loves romaine, kale, spinach and tomatoes. He lives in Timothy hay and his basking area stays around 90degrees. I soak him once every three days and he has a big appetite. So is there any advise to helping his healing process speed up? Because I took him to the vet just this past summer and doc said the crack was not as healed as he wanted it to be BUT he looks great he's color is much brighter and he's way more active and he's eating great. So is this just a process I'm gonna have to be patient on or is there a way to help it. The crack is dry no puss coming out there's not fungus like stuff. It's just there chillin. Vet says surgery isn't necessary at this point. But I'm so eager to get his shell healed. So any advise would be great!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: Shell problem

Feed more weeds like dandelions add calcium to his diet .

kassijo3432

CRACKED SHELL (Russian Tortoise)

Hello,
I have a Russian tortoise I've owned him for about 5 years now. Towards the beginning when I got him I was feeding him ice burg lettuce (dummy me) I didn't know it had no nutrition. Well over about two months I realized he had what looked like a crack on the stomach of his shell. I took him to the vet and sure enough it was a crack from malnutrition. That was about a year ago. Sense then I've been feeding him a variety of things he is a picky eater but loves romaine, kale, spinach and tomatoes. He lives in Timothy hay and his basking area stays around 90degrees. I soak him once every three days and he has a big appetite. So is there any advise to helping his healing process speed up? Because I took him to the vet just this past summer and doc said the crack was not as healed as he wanted it to be BUT he looks great he's color is much brighter and he's way more active and he's eating great. So is this just a process I'm gonna have to be patient on or is there a way to help it. The crack is dry no puss coming out there's not fungus like stuff. It's just there chillin. Vet says surgery isn't necessary at this point. But I'm so eager to get his shell healed. So any advise would be great!ImageUploadedByTortForum1392079940.712055.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392079961.343847.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392079990.077798.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392080021.277284.jpg

Besides the cracks, also, how does his shell look? I noticed those white parts around him. I thought maybe it was just from him growing?.... But now I see about this fungus issue.... And idk... It doesn't look like a fungus but maybe I'm wrong. Also does he look like he's pyramiding? If so what is that? And how does it happen?....ImageUploadedByTortForum1392080272.560785.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392080317.944108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
RE: CRACKED SHELL (Russian Tortoise)

I'm not sure about the crack, but are you sure that he is a Russian tortoise? He looks more like a hermann's to me.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

Yes, you do not have a Russian. he looks to be a greek to me. Did you get him as a hatchling or adult? It looks like he has some old shell rot - I don't really see anything active, but let's see what others think...

kassijo3432

Shell problem

Oh gosh I'm sorry!! Haha I just downloaded this app still trying to figure it out. Haha

kassijo3432

Yeah ya know... I was never sure if he was Greek or Russian. I can't remember what it said at the pet store. But he was an adult. Not too much smaller than what he is not. Which is.... 6inches long... And 1 lbs 10 oz

If it is shell rot what does that mean? Or what did I do wrong?...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

Does he have a spur on the inside of his thighs?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

It's like a little protuberance sticking out of the inside of his thigh. If you take a picture of his backside with his legs sticking out we can tell you for sure.

kassijo3432

How's this? GoImageUploadedByTortForum1392082712.749777.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kassijo3432

Yay!!:D finally! Now how are they at hibernating?... I've been researching on Russians hibernating not Greeks. He had been sleeping not eating or anything sense September. I took him out a couple days ago because I looked into it and wasn't sure if it was safe due to his cracks and I had just fed him romaine, kale and spinach leaves before he went in. And I didn't weigh him so it made me nervous and unsure so I pulled him out....

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

I don't hibernate any of my greeks - and I'm not sure what subspecies you have (maybe a Jordanian?) so I can't give you an advice on hibernating. I think it's good that you woke him up. I'm certainly no vet (and I don't mean to second guess your vet) but I doubt that any of his shell issues were caused by malnutrition. Most of it looks old (possibly there when you got him.) Is he active and eating now?

kassijo3432

Yes very active and eating a full plate or two a day sense I took him out.

Subspecies? Like he's not a pure breed or something?... What's Jordanian?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

If he's eating and active I wouldn't worry too much about his shell. Just keep an eye on it for oozing or a bad smell. It's great that you have improved his diet.

There are several subspecies of greek (testudo graeca) tortoises. It has nothing to do with being pure bred or anything like that. You can google it and will see all the different subspecies. I have several Jordanians and yours looks similar to mine, but I'm terrible at differentiating the different subspecies so hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

kassijo3432

Ok great thank you so much!:)

Oh hey one more question... What would you recommend for his heat lamp. Should I keep it on all night or can I turn it off? When it's on it's at 90degrees and without it it runs around 70...