[split] Sick Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

renatobali

5 Year Member
My Star tortoise show swollen in his front and back feet I don't know what to do?!
Anyone please can help me.
Thank you
Renato

image-4058138964.png

nessielocks

5 Year Member
Sorry i can't help someone will be along soon. Good luck i hope he heals soon.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I think meant to say "swollen" perhaps. Looks like water retention to me. How much soaking are you doing? Also are you feeding alot of cucumber, watermelon, honey dew things like that?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Keep an eye on him in the next couple of days. Stop any water-based fruits, and I'd check to see if he's peeing. If you notice that he's not peeing, make an appointment with the vet to see what's going on inside. Check this link out on your specific tort. You may be able to find it useful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_star_tortoise

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Nodder was very swollen when he was about 3 months old.
I made sure when he was outside, he had no contact with any grass or plants treated with chemicals.
I cut down soaking him to 2 times per week (only while swollen).
Removed all items, including substrate, from his enclosure.
Kept just a piece of slate under his heat lamp.
Kept a warm hide with just moss.
Changed his food and water dish the the unglazed plant saucers.
Only fed spring mix, minus spinach, that I rinsed thoroughly. Used pure calcium 3 times per week.
I wasn't sure what what causing it, so I just kept everything to the extreme minimum.
I found that it took about 6 weeks before he started to improve and I slowly added things back into his diet and substrate back to his enclosure.
He always had excellent temps, so that was never an issue. Also, his poop, pee and urates were always normal.

What temps do you keep him in? What is his diet/supplementation? What does his enclosure consist of?

turtletania

5 Year Member
Definitely looks like retention to me... is there swelling around the neck area too? I agree - stop the foods which are high in water content and monitor the peeing.

renatobali

5 Year Member
Strange swelling

Please if any on know about my tortoises swollen on the skin around the legs.
Thank you
Renato

Attachments

• image-2408589120.png
    image-2408589120.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 25

turtletania

5 Year Member
lisalove said:
Nodder was very swollen when he was about 3 months old.
I made sure when he was outside, he had no contact with any grass or plants treated with chemicals.
I cut down soaking him to 2 times per week (only while swollen).
Removed all items, including substrate, from his enclosure.
Kept just a piece of slate under his heat lamp.
Kept a warm hide with just moss.
Changed his food and water dish the the unglazed plant saucers.
Only fed spring mix, minus spinach, that I rinsed thoroughly. Used pure calcium 3 times per week.
I wasn't sure what what causing it, so I just kept everything to the extreme minimum.
I found that it took about 6 weeks before he started to improve and I slowly added things back into his diet and substrate back to his enclosure.
He always had excellent temps, so that was never an issue. Also, his poop, pee and urates were always normal.

As LISA said:

1: only soak every 2nd day.
2: Take out all substrate
3: Have a slate or upturned tile under the heat lamp
4: Add calcium to your torts food (just a small sprinkle every other day)
5: Feed only spring mix greens

Please try these things..... or consider taking your tort to the VET. Let us know how your little one is going.

What temps do you keep him in? What is his diet/supplementation? What does his enclosure consist of?

Status
Not open for further replies.