[split] Substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALOALTO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay area, California
What would be the best substrate for an indoor enclosure? I'd need something that I can change easily, and that doesn't smell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've split off your question from that other thread. Since you're new, you don't know yet that when you want to ask a question regarding your tortoise and tortoise-keeping, you start your own thread, that way we're not hi-jacking someone else's thread to help you.

My choice is orchid bark or cypress mulch. If you spot clean the substrate lasts a very long time. You can pour a pitcher of water over it then mix it up with your hand for even distribution. Then every time you see a poop, or a little clump of pee, you just pick it out and toss it. All of my tortoises live outside year round, but the smaller ones in tort tables in the outside sheds, are on either orchid bark or cypress mulch. The substrate that I start out the winter with, is the same substrate I toss in the Spring when I put the babies back outside.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
For my indoor enclosures I use sphagnum peat moss (has the same consistency as dirt) with a layer of orchid bark on top and regular moss in the areas where they sleep.
Or for heavy diggers I use a mixture of sand and soil kept slightly damp and packed down firmly. This mixture holds burrows really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.