[split] Tortoise at petsmart

Cozl86

I am new to the tort world. I bought what I was told was a Russian from petsmart, but how do you really tell between a Russian and a Greek?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
RE: Tortoise at petsmart

Cozl86 said:
I am new to the tort world. I bought what I was told was a Russian from petsmart, but how do you really tell between a Russian and a Greek?

Why that's easy. Just post a picture of your lovely and our lovely TFO experts will be happy to tell ya. One from the top / shell, and the bottom / plastron also, so they can tell you if you have a boy or girl. Here or start a new ID thread. Operators are standing by! LOL! : )

Cozl86

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Cozl86 said:

Why that's easy. Just post a picture of your lovely and our lovely TFO experts will be happy to tell ya. One from the top / shell, and the bottom / plastron also, so they can tell you if you have a boy or girl. Here or start a new ID thread. Operators are standing by! LOL! : )

Thank you! I will do that as soon as I can. I am new to all of this. I just got it last night. How long should I let it get used to its habitat before I handle it. The lady said 2-3 days, but I'm reading a lot that says the pet shop people have no idea what they are talking about. Lol

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Your right. Specially big pet store like them. They don't know what they are talking bout. They would say anything to anyone just to make a sale.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Greeks and Russians require pretty much the same care. Forget what the store clerk told you. You need a fairly large habitat, and a big plastic bin is the cheapest indoor habitat you can buy. Use either coco coir or cypress mulch for substrate...at least, use something you can slightly moisten - not hay or aspen. A couple hiding places would be a good idea; a feeding tile and a plant saucer for water (big enough that the tortoise can get in it. It makes the habitat seem bigger to the inhabitant if you provide several sight barriers - plants, rocks, driftwood. For lighting, use the 10 or 12" reflector fixtures with ceramic base (not Bakelite/plastic). For night time, if your house doesn't get too cold (less than 65 for an adult tortoise), then you don't need night time heat. But for daytime, you need to provide UVB. You can provide that either with a Mercury Vapor bulb or a tube-type fluorescent bulb. DO NOT buy the coiled UVB bulbs. They are harmful to tortoise's eyes. Here's a link for you to read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22635.html

(looks like a Russian in your avatar)