[split] uvb lights still emit UV ?

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
I was wondering this, do UVB lights emit UVB as long as they turn on? Or do they run out eventually, even though they produce light?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: "old" uvb lights

Should be fine. And they don't all stop emitting UV. I recently got a UV light meter and tested a four year old MVB bulb that shouldn't even work anymore. I was shocked when it was producing UVB levels equal to the sun on a summer day, and I was measuring through a screen too.

With all the conjecture and opinions on UV bulbs for reptiles, the only way to know what you have is to get a light meter and measure YOUR bulb output in YOUR enclosure. I mostly use the sun to meet my reptiles UV needs, but if I lived in a frozen climate and was dependent upon indoor UV, I would not even attempt it without a good UV meter.

kezilulu

Which make of bulb would you recommend? I need an actual bulb rather than a tube and I know coil bulbs are a no no but I'm stuck on which make is best and would hate to choose wrong on such an important element!
xXx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: "old" uvb lights

jaketheskate said:
Where can I get one.

http://www.solarmeter.com

I recommend the 6.5 model.

kezilulu said:
Which make of bulb would you recommend? I need an actual bulb rather than a tube and I know coil bulbs are a no no but I'm stuck on which make is best and would hate to choose wrong on such an important element!
xXx

There are many ways to do this successfully and many factors to consider.
Start your own thread, explain what you've got and what you are trying to accomplish, and then we can give you our recommendations.