[split] Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanasfaith

5 Year Member
Hi - I am the new proud mommy of a 6 month old leopard tortoise (at least that is how old I was told he/she is) named Johnnie (or Johnny if a boy:)

I have followed all the guidelines and all has been great for about a month. Now I notice JOhnnie is not eating as much as before - i.e. spring mix; cactus from pet store; pellets. I never could get him to even nibble on Timothy hay. I sprinkle calcium about 4 - 5 days a week and he has plenty of water which he drinks and I set him in daily - which he really seems to enjoy.

But I am worried becuase he doesn't seem as active when I take him out of his tank (very large for his size) and put him in his heated "playpen" where he use to love to walk around. Now he just walks about a foot and finds a towel or a corner of the bottom sheet to hide in. He is still really personable with me and doesn't cower or hide from me - but I do believe he might be a bit constipated as I have not cleaned up that many droppings.

One reptile store told me to use rabbit pellets in the bottom of his cage for hinm to walk on because if he does eat them it won't hurt him or cause a respiratory problem.

His coloring still looks great but I am just worried about him.

How do I "encourage" him to eat more fiber (timothy hay) or to get back his appetite.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Leopard tort! I'm sure more experienced keepers will respond soon, but in the meantime: There are several reasons he may not be as active or eating as much. Is he in a glass tank? What are the temperatures and what type of lighting do you use? I ask because he may be either too hot or too cold. Have you had his stool tested for parasites? You may want to try giving him a bit of pumpkin (you can use canned pumpkin as long as it is 100% pumpkin with no fillers), that may help unclog him if he's constipated. I personally think maybe he only needs calcium a couple of times a week unless you're only giving him the smallest of pinches. As far as the substrate goes, there are varied opinions about rabbit pellets, many keepers use a mix of coir and play sand - but you can read the threads about those and decide for yourself. Knowing more about his set up, lighting, etc., will help more experienced keepers help you. Again, welcome and we really like photos:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nanasfaith:

1089418wbbu892df8.gif

to the forum!!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the group!

What else do you offer besides spring mix, cactus, and pellets? What type of pellets for food (brand)?

I suggest using something besides the pellets as a substrate. They are tough for some torts to walk on, dry (can be dusty and an irritant), and can be dangerous if eaten (they expand with water). I disagree that they aren't harmful. Either way, there are some better options such as the coconut coir. Do some research and see what you think. Never take one person's advice as fact. With a hatchling, a moist substrate is important to have humidity at the level of the tort to prevent pyramiding of the shell. Other options as organic potting soil, Cyprus mulch, and orchid bark. The coconut coir can have up to 50% play sand (the kind for kid's sandboxes, sold in home improvement stores) mixed in if you'd like as it will then hold it's shape more and not be quite so moist. With any moist substrate, you want to not have it wet. No water should come out when you squeeze a handful, but it should hold shape. Add water every couple days as needed by pouring a cup or whatever on the substrate and mix it up with your hands (or whatever is easiest). The best substrate and enclosure is one which most closely resembles the natural habitat in the wild. I think this is an open top (box) tortoise table with a moist substrate, not an aquarium with pellets.

What temperature gradient do you have? What kind of enclosure? Size? Can you provide pictures? What type of heated play pen? Does he have hide areas in different temperature areas in the enclosure and play pen? What do you use for heating/lighting/UVB?

Some torts do eat their droppings, but both constipation and not eating can also be issues. I would try to entice him with a different variety of foods. Look for lists of greens on this forum, russiantortoise.org (the greens are the same for both breeds), etc. The pumpkin is a great idea. Mazuri tortoise food (made by Purina) is another option for a fiber rich supplement. You can buy 1 lb bags online. Usually the feed stores can only order 25 lb bags. It freezes fine. I would feed 1 moistened pellet with greens every so often. Most other commercial foods aren't appropriate (too high in sugars, protein, etc), but this is one of the better ones besides the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food. If he isn't eating he won't be pooping, so I would take a mixed approach on this one with different enticing foods, fiber, and a close watch on if he's eating the poop. Then, think about making any changes to the enclosure.

Can you post pictures? Hatchlings are adorable! Congrats on the new addition. Tortoises go through funks like we do. Best we can do is ensure they are happy and healthy (taking him to the vet for a check up and fecal test for parasites is an excellent choice), and do our best to care for them. When nothing is wrong with the husbandry, they'll snap out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.