[split] what kind of heat emitter?

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So this is kinda irrelevant but also relevant: what kind of heat emiter should I use? Either for an outside box or even for an inside enclosure? Should I use a black one or a white one and what wattage? Also what type of heating pad element is best? Also for an outside vs inside? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Planning a Heated Box.

tortoisetime565 said:
So this is kinda irrelevant but also relevant: what kind of heat emiter should I use? Either for an outside box or even for an inside enclosure? Should I use a black one or a white one and what wattage? Also what type of heating pad element is best? Also for an outside vs inside? Thanks!

What species, what size, and how many?

Here are three ways I like to go for outside:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-86632.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Planning a Heated Box.

Tom said:
tortoisetime565 said:

What species, what size, and how many?

Here are three ways I like to go for outside:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-86632.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

Well I have 4 dillys 9" 6" and two 3" then two Russians 5" and 4.5" and two redfoots 7" and 8" I'll need to have one for each so I can have enclosures at the right temps.

Dillys should say Sulcatas... Lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you find Ceramic Heat Emitters in black and in white, it doesn't matter which you buy because they are both exactly the same.

I don't like to use pig blankets for young tortoises because they are so small they sometimes don't realize they can actually walk off the pad if it gets too hot for them.

Quite a few folks think using a black incandescent bulb to heat at night time is no good, however, I've been using black lights for many years, and it is my preferred way to heat the air in the sheds.

A black light is different from a black-colored CHE.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Okay. So how do I go about setting this up? The new L shaped tort table will be on top then on the floor will be my new sulcatas and my Russians.. Hence the reasoning behind the under the tank heater. Cause the floor can be cold at times. I also need to get a ceramic hear emiter and hook it up to a thermo stat... Which I have no idea which one to buy. I am a bit tight on money for the time being but I'll soon have money. They have uvb and head and such but I haven't finished the new table which will also double as a place to screw in the lights for the tortoises underneath the new table. For the time being their light is dangling from the ceiling. ImageUploadedByTortForum1392152417.607433.jpg

One side is heat the other uvb. Both cages get about 85-90 degree basking spots. Babies are the left cage and Gideon, the jeuv is in the right.

Also this will not last, I know. Lol. Come mid march they will all be outside enjoying authentic UVB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are a nice size for tortoises. Keep you eye on the sulcatas though, as the sides aren't very tall and the tortoises may decide they can climb out.

I'm afraid you're going to need more dome fixtures and more heating. You'll need to hang a fixture at the ends of each container. And I'd add a CHE in each fixture to bring heat down to the ends.

Your existing fixture might be up too high. It should be 100-110F directly under the light.

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Yvonne G said:
Those are a nice size for tortoises. Keep you eye on the sulcatas though, as the sides aren't very tall and the tortoises may decide they can climb out.

I'm afraid you're going to need more dome fixtures and more heating. You'll need to hang a fixture at the ends of each container. And I'd add a CHE in each fixture to bring heat down to the ends.

Your existing fixture might be up too high. It should be 100-110F directly under the light.

I'm actually getting a 100 watt bulb for the fixtures to heat them up more. I also found something cool out today. When I walked in my room it was about 6-7 degrees warmer because my window he's sun all day. It's been cloudy so I didn't notice. But anyways. The sunlight was in a perfect spot for the torts to bask they were all sprawled out web I came home. The windows are from like 1980's and are about 1/4 inch think. I think they do let in some uvb they say on them "non uvb block" but they were all cozy and warm. Now, how many more lights? Should I put one at each end and a CHE in the middle? As for the sides I haven't had a problem with my 9" sulcata trying to climb out however this sully is very adventurous. So I'll for sure keep an eye on them. They seem very active. They are eating. All but one hatchling anyways. He might be eating but I can't tell. There are many nibbles on the collard green leaf but I'm not sure if it's from the other hatch in the with him or not. When the other tortoise table is build it will be 3' off the ground and I will be able to hang fixtures from the bottom of that so I can get them closer. I appreciate the help! :) I also have tops for those containers that cover up the whole tub or half if I need to get better humidity.