[split] What kind of tortoise/turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA-Paramedic

5 Year Member
Hi,
Could someone perhaps tell me what type of tortoise we have? My wife rescued him/her from the heat of Qatar desert. I'm not very clued up on tortoises sorry.
Thanks for the help. :)

Attachments

• image-536116566.png
    image-536116566.png
    402.8 KB · Views: 121

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi SA-Paramedic:

Welcome!

I've moved your question from AshlieWood's thread because it is impolite to "hi-jack" someone else's thread with a question of your own. Not only that, but more people will see your question this way and you are more likely to receive some answers.

In all likelihood, your tortoise didn't need rescuing from the desert. That is where they live. I'm not real familiar with the Mediterranean tortoise species, but yours looks like a Greek or a Hermann's to me. Someone with more knowledge than I will come along and help you, but in the meantime, could you please take another picture of the bottom side of the tortoise?

Thanks...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In all likelihood, your tortoise didn't need rescuing from the desert. That is where they live.

I was thinking this as well....do you recall where you picked the tort up at? Are you able to return it to the exact same spot?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
I've moved your question from AshlieWood's thread because it is impolite to "hi-jack" someone else's thread with a question of your own. Not only that, but more people will see your question this way and you are more likely to receive some answers.

:D :D I was in the middle of splitting this, when my laptop battery totally died. Once I had it charged, I came back to slit this post into a new thread again and I couldn't find it. I want you to know for a bit there I was worried I had deleted the post by accident, when I lost power.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
A Testudo graeca species...whatever branch of the Greek tribe is native there.

Nice markings, and will make an excellent pet, should y'all decide to give it a home..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yes, that is a Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca), although I'm not sure which subspecies.

As for where you found it, there are no tortoises native to Qatar, or even elsewhere on the Arabian Peninsula. The nearest populations of tortoises are T. graeca and T. kleinmanni in the neighboring countries of the Levant and the Sinai Peninsula.

If your wife found that tortoise in Qatar, I would say she rescued it, because it was probably an escaped pet. Although it might survive out there, I think she probably saved its life.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
It looks more like a N-African Graeca than a Middle East Ibera-related taxon.
I second Gaddy- there are no tortoises in the Arabian Peninsula inferno...

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Yes, that is a Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca), although I'm not sure which subspecies.

As for where you found it, there are no tortoises native to Qatar, or even elsewhere on the Arabian Peninsula. The nearest populations of tortoises are T. graeca and T. kleinmanni in the neighboring countries of the Levant and the Sinai Peninsula.

If your wife found that tortoise in Qatar, I would say she rescued it, because it was probably an escaped pet. Although it might survive out there, I think she probably saved its life.

Haha I love saying that: -Testudo graeca- Awsome!

SA-Paramedic

5 Year Member
Found Skilly walking on the side of the road in a busy residential area. We're keeping out ears open in case someone lost their pet.

image-1155641614.png

This is the underside of Skilly.

image-3278869673.png

And his head.

From what I can tell from reading websites and blogs he seems healthy and doesn't mind being gently stroked under his chin. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its female, and captive born.

SA-Paramedic

5 Year Member
She?! This is something I've struggled to confirm in my Internet searches. I figured maybe Skilly is too young to tell yet but my wife and I still landed up referring to "him". Also, I struggle to understand the "age" estimation; something to do with the number of rings on the carapace circles? How old do you think Skilly could be? Sadly in this country they have lots of dealers and few breeders (if any). Lots of pets are abandoned here once the novelty wears off. We adopted a beautiful white Persian cat from a family who didn't care much for her after a few weeks.

image-1521553059.png

(the black mark on her head is not dirt, it's natural. I call it her "Gorbachev" marking) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.