Spring is springing, tra la, tra la!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know I've posted these before, but every spring when they bloom they're just so beautiful I have to share it with someone.

This is a view of part of the cactus garden. I'd have to go back further behind me in order to capture the whole garden:

04-11-14f_zps76986df2.jpg

This is an Opuntia Sarah's Carpet. It has blue/grey pads and pretty pink flowers. Just look at all the buds waiting to open:

04-11-14b_zps2a1b6e6f.jpg

This is the spineless opuntia. It's about 7' tall:

04-11-14c_zpsd9e187f0.jpg

This one is a Golden Barrel. The plant is quite large, but the blooms are not much to speak of:

04-11-14d_zpscc6c91e8.jpg

This one is an Echinopsis. Most of the plant got frozen. I'm lucky that there were still a few pieces that are alive. The flowers are just so beautiful and blindingly white:

04-11-14e_zps0e2b856b.jpg

Thank goodness for Round-Up. Can you imagine trying to weed that prickly garden by hand?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I take it you don't have to buy cactus ever . Nice looking plants .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would love to be able to grow cactus like that all year, jealous. So glad you share with us though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Awesome! Those white blooms are so neat. What a sight the carpet must look when more of the blooms open. I am intrigued by cactus. I don't know if it's just 'cuz they aren't common here or what. Use to think those blooms were fake. :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yvonne I just started a thread about cactus flowers and then I just saw you had this one, now I feel like a dummy:D Nice flowers by the way. Ive got some nice ones coming up to

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bigred said:
Yvonne I just started a thread about cactus flowers and then I just saw you had this one, now I feel like a dummy:D Nice flowers by the way. Ive got some nice ones coming up to

I was going to do a link for you of hers in your thread. :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! !

They are beautiful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui: I haven't forgotten you.

DLEvergreen

Lubbock, Texas
I know I've posted these before, but every spring when they bloom they're just so beautiful I have to share it with someone.

This is a view of part of the cactus garden. I'd have to go back further behind me in order to capture the whole garden:

04-11-14f_zps76986df2.jpg

This is an Opuntia Sarah's Carpet. It has blue/grey pads and pretty pink flowers. Just look at all the buds waiting to open:

04-11-14b_zps2a1b6e6f.jpg

This is the spineless opuntia. It's about 7' tall:

04-11-14c_zpsd9e187f0.jpg

This one is a Golden Barrel. The plant is quite large, but the blooms are not much to speak of:

04-11-14d_zpscc6c91e8.jpg

This one is an Echinopsis. Most of the plant got frozen. I'm lucky that there were still a few pieces that are alive. The flowers are just so beautiful and blindingly white:

04-11-14e_zps0e2b856b.jpg

Thank goodness for Round-Up. Can you imagine trying to weed that prickly garden by hand?

Man-- this is a gorgeous garden!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, kind sir. I wish I could get the whole thing in one picture, but as it was I was standing in the middle of the street. Maybe this coming spring I'll bring a step ladder out there and see if I can get the whole garden.

My original reason for planting it was to keep any looky-lous away from my fence. There are tortoises just on the other side and I didn't want them disappearing in the middle of the night.

DLEvergreen

Lubbock, Texas
Lol-- well-- it is a very beautiful way of keeping your tortoises (and really house) safe-- love the different colors, heights and textures. I had a few things stolen from my yard when I first moved in, but since I've been growing cacti along the fence-lines, thankfully no one wants to bother with that:).

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you, kind sir. I wish I could get the whole thing in one picture, but as it was I was standing in the middle of the street. Maybe this coming spring I'll bring a step ladder out there and see if I can get the whole garden.

My original reason for planting it was to keep any looky-lous away from my fence. There are tortoises just on the other side and I didn't want them disappearing in the middle of the night.

Yvonne, what do you personally know about Blue Agave
http://cf.ltkcdn.net/herbs/images/std/118124-400x300-Blue_Agave.jpg

I have a co worker that has one in his yard and the plant just lived out its life and when the bloom fell and hit the ground, it threw alot of pups off...he brought me like 20 of them....I was going to just plop em into the ground and for some reason I thought "hmmm, let me check these out a bit first"...I have researched but was wondering your take on them.....it does not sound as though it would be a good food item for torts due to the stringy stuff????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what happens with the agaves. Once they bloom the mother plant dies. But it sets pups and the cycle continues.

My Aldabran tortoises tried to eat an agave that was growing in their yard, but it was too tough for them to bite. It makes a nice decoration, though.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Fantastic garden, Yvonne!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES