Spring Mix?

• Thread starter nomylarballoons
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nomylarballoons

I have kind of a dumb question...

I’ve seen Spring Mix recommended on here a lot, so about a month ago I went out and got some for my tortoise (a 3-year-old Hermann’s). The kind I got only has three things in it - baby romaine, tango, and raddichio... which seemed a little weird to me so I went googling today and found this: http://www.freshexpress.com/products/productdisplay.asp?cat=or&salads=40
Is that^ the Spring Mix I’m supposed to be feeding my tortoise? It’s got way more things in it than the kind I’ve been feeding her!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's it. But my store doesn't sell Fresh Express brand. I get Earthbound Farm brand.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

That's what I use too, and then I add all kinds of other greens found in the store and some weeds and different grasses and blossoms and leafs. Then I sprinkle hay over all that and it's dinner time!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I use the one found at Costco, can't remember the brand name. then I do like Maggie and add different weeds, grape leaves, rose leaves and flowers etc and Breakfast ! :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have a weird spring mix question. Is it possible it could have dandelion in it? I usually pick up a tiny bag of the bulk stuff so it's fresh (about 50 cents worth usually), and I swear there are little bits that look like tiny dandelion greens. I've bought the dandies by themselves, but there were some huge ones that my little guy couldn't even eat the stalk of. Just wondering...

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
emysemys said:
Yes, that's it. But my store doesn't sell Fresh Express brand. I get Earthbound Farm brand.

Yvonne

I just got some of the Earthbound Farm mix, and I swear Smiley loves it. She runs right over when I put it in her dish. I was using the bag Spring Mix at the grocery store, but then I found an organic store that sells the Earthbound Mix.

Evan

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
has anyone else noticed how hard it is to keep spring mix fresh? it seems to start falling apart after a couple days. Maybe its just at my grocery

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kevantheman35 said:
has anyone else noticed how hard it is to keep spring mix fresh? it seems to start falling apart after a couple days. Maybe its just at my grocery

Pick through the packages to find the sell-by date that is the farthest out. With as many hungry mouths that I feed, food never spoils at my house!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I wash my salad stuff as soon as I get home, and then dry it on paper towels and blot dry. Then, I put it in a tupperware with paper towels on the bottom and top, wiping out the container and changing the paper towels every couple of days. I've had my greens last a good bit longer--when kept wet they get mushy and start rotting. When part of it gets mushy, it spreads quickly to all of it. I think the store keeps them moist/sprayed because it increases sales because the stuff looks fresh. If the greens are kept moist in the fridge I have bad luck with keeping anything more than about 5 days.

Stores by me also sell the organic spring mix bulk (more expensive but you can even pick out what you want and don't want). $6.99/pound but I never end up throwing any away. If buying other things at the store sometimes they haven't charged me.

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
kevantheman35 said:

It seems that when I buy the spring mix in the plastic bags, it only lasts about four days. I bought some organic mix in a 1 lb. plastic tub, and it has been about a week, and it is still fresh and crisp.

Evan

Status
Not open for further replies.