Sprout seeds, has anyone tried them?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I have been doing a lot of browsing and researching on various grass and seed mixes for indoor winter gardening for Odin (sulcata) and I came across many different kinds of non-GMO, organic sprout seed packages. Some are all alfalfa or mung, some have mixes with additions of radish, broccoli etc. Has anyone ever tried them for their torts? I am not suggesting just feeding them sprout salad, but growing them in a soil medium and allowing them to graze on them.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I get seeds from several sources to grow for my sulcata. I am always trying different things. One mix I like is a Premium Horse Pasture mix from Peaceful Valley Farms. They have lots of seeds available, but this pasture mix produces lots of grass in a small space. Here is a link: http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Also, the testudo mix from Tortoisesupply.com is a great investment. I continuse to provide many of the broadleaf plants that my sulcata loves. Here is a link: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

I also harvest seeds from plants that I find growing in the yards of neighbors and friends. Once I have identified the plant as tortoise food I get seed or a cutting to grow it in my yard.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You can sprout seeds by placing them on a wet paper towel. However, I have no idea if sprouts are any more or less nutritious or dangerous than adult plants. +1 on the Testudo mix!

Randi

Canada
You can also check out carolinapetsupply.com I believe and they sell seeds and grazing mixes. They have all sorts of seeds safe for tortoises that you grow yourself. Very easy and affordable.

kdub

Clearwater, FL
I get mine from the bulk bins at the natural food store nearby - very cheap and easy to grow. I sprout them in a glass jar and they're ready in about two days or so. I'll put a few in with his food then put the rest in the substrate to grow which gives his habitat a more naturalistic feel and keeps up the humidity. ...I'd also like to think it oxygenates the air but I don't have any scientific evidence on that one!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Right now we have 4 planting beds that we are rotating in and out
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/indoor-enclosure-all-input-welcome.108222/
and the current beds have grass (of course) aloe, spider plants and christmas cactus, but in the past week I have added a variety of new seeds, carrot, spinach, radish, chicory, clover, trefoil and I am waiting on delivery of dandelion seeds (can't believe I have to buy them when they grow so freely in my yard all summer!). I am just trying to get as much variety as possible. From everything I have read the more variety of grasses and greens they have the healthier they are.

Prairie Mom

I have been doing a lot of browsing and researching on various grass and seed mixes for indoor winter gardening for Odin (sulcata) and I came across many different kinds of non-GMO, organic sprout seed packages. Some are all alfalfa or mung, some have mixes with additions of radish, broccoli etc. Has anyone ever tried them for their torts? I am not suggesting just feeding them sprout salad, but growing them in a soil medium and allowing them to graze on them.
I am doing exactly what you are suggesting right now. I actually JUST posted about it in the Garden chat TODAY:) You can see my little sulcata enjoying her grass and sprouts.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/garden-chat-photos-for-torts-and-people.104546/page-33
I am rotating trays of plain fescue with a few weeds and wheat and barley sprouts mixed in. I ordered plain bags of organic wheat and a separate bag of organic barley seeds from Amazon. I also got a fertilizer free lawn fescue grass from Amazon that I posted about in the Garden chat link. I don't do ANYTHING special to make the sprouts SPROUT grass:) They just grow and grow QUICKLY. They will be full grown before the fescue seeds even wake up. I have found that when doing mass seed plantings it helps to put plain potting soil on the bottom with a layer of peat moss or coco coir on top so the seeds stay wet all the time as they grow. The young seeds stay wet, but as the plant roots grow they reach down into the potting soil.

Like this...
pottin soil with coir.jpg
soil with coco coir on top

if you cover it up like a little green house it will sprout even faster,
just be sure to let air in as you see the seeds starting to sprout.
covered water dish.jpg

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
put plain potting soil on the bottom with a layer of peat moss or coco coir on top so the seeds stay wet all the time as they grow. The young seeds stay wet, but as the plant roots grow they reach down into the potting soil.
That's exactly what I am doing! And you are right, they sprout amazingly fast. Our little fella is going to be a big fella in no time!

Prairie Mom

Right now we have 4 planting beds that we are rotating in and out
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/indoor-enclosure-all-input-welcome.108222/
and the current beds have grass (of course) aloe, spider plants and christmas cactus, but in the past week I have added a variety of new seeds, carrot, spinach, radish, chicory, clover, trefoil and I am waiting on delivery of dandelion seeds (can't believe I have to buy them when they grow so freely in my yard all summer!). I am just trying to get as much variety as possible. From everything I have read the more variety of grasses and greens they have the healthier they are.
I some how missed this post! You're an indoor tort gardener after my own heart! Nice to meet you! I'm trying chicory for the first time right now. Let me know if your tortoise likes it:)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I certainly will, I am so excited to see him try it! AND, I just checked the mail and my dandelion seeds came! Common dandelion and rid rib (another chicory) Taraxacum officinale and cichorium intybus for those that want to know. If gardening on a Friday night is wrong I don't wanna be right!
Nice to meet you too!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Not a sprout mix, but this is one of my new blends I am sprouting, the second to the last sentence in the second picture was one of the main selling points after seeing what he is doing to the grass. :D001.JPG 002.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I planted that in my RF yard two years ago. It grew great, however, it didn't re-seed and so never came back the following year.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I planted that in my RF yard two years ago. It grew great, however, it didn't re-seed and so never came back the following year.
For indoor gardening I am not worried about reseeding, but thanks for the tip! I was considering it for outside in the spring (and for up at the lake with the actual deer and turkeys) but if it's not reliable I will keep looking to make certain I have a back-up plan. Thanks again!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I collected my own seeds, this past spring. I work at an all-natural university campus, so I get lots of seeds for free. I also given a pound of organic seeds, for human consumption.

This is alfalfa and red clover:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422061318.656642.jpg

Pansies from my summer plants:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422061290.017772.jpg

Dandelion:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422061357.029753.jpg

I'm about to start my plants for the Spring. I also grew some mallow last yr, but this year's seeds are very slow. I think we just don't have enough sunlight.

May & THBs

Prairie Mom

I collected my own seeds, this past spring. I work at an all-natural university campus, so I get lots of seeds for free. I also given a pound of organic seeds, for human consumption.

This is alfalfa and red clover:
View attachment 115381

Pansies from my summer plants:
View attachment 115379

Dandelion:
View attachment 115382

I'm about to start my plants for the Spring. I also grew some mallow last yr, but this year's seeds are very slow. I think we just don't have enough sunlight.

May & THBs
beautiful Jabuticaba!

Burnt Arrow Becky

Burnet, TX
I get seeds from several sources to grow for my sulcata. I am always trying different things. One mix I like is a Premium Horse Pasture mix from Peaceful Valley Farms. They have lots of seeds available, but this pasture mix produces lots of grass in a small space. Here is a link: http://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Also, the testudo mix from Tortoisesupply.com is a great investment. I continuse to provide many of the broadleaf plants that my sulcata loves. Here is a link: http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

I also harvest seeds from plants that I find growing in the yards of neighbors and friends. Once I have identified the plant as tortoise food I get seed or a cutting to grow it in my yard.
Is it OK to plant Nitro coated seeds? I'm wanting to plant seeds in my adult tortoise yard