What is everyone's feeling about sprouts for the following items:
Mung Bean
Alfalfa
Melon
Sunflower
Lentils
Pinto
Peas

Is there any issues with feeling my torts these items? Is mung bean too high in protein for Greeks and Hermanns?

I purchases some of these items from http://www.sprouting.com/canstore/enter.html.

Thanks

Ton

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Greetings Ton ~

I am unfamiliar with many of the items you listed as far as food items for torties; it might help you get more feedback if you noted what kinds of torties they are. Also, I do believe there is alot of information under the diet section here on TFO, so perhaps look there to see what others are feeding.

I have used the desert tortoise seed mixture that I purchased from Carolina Pet Supply, and my African appears to love grazing on those lil sprouts. Also, he cruises around in my front yard and munches on the weeds he finds there {such as dandelions and clovers} as well as a nibble or two from the succulants that are growing there as well. In addition, he gets dark greens from the grocer, cacti that has no spikes on it and rose petals when I can get them.

Hope this helps!
Bestest wishes,
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ton: I only feed sprouts to the types of tortoises that might come across them in the wild. For example, a sulcata or desert tortoise probably wouldn't ever see any kind of sprout in his lifetime. Weeds and grasses usually come us as a little plantlet, not as a sprout. But the Yellowfoot tortoises, the Manouria, and the forest/jungle type tortoises most likely would come across sprouts of some sort or another. I feed bean sprouts occasionally to my Manouria and they really like them. I don't use alfalfa, and I've never tried any of the others that you listed.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.