Spud's setup ❤︎

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So I cleaned Spud's viv out today and decided to change it up a bit. I know that most torts don't like change but Spud seems to cope pretty well and doesn't seem to mind.

The viv is on the small side, I know and he is due an upgrade but he has a large outdoor space that he spends most of summer in so it will have to do for now as he will be outside soon :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484942538.750663.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484942552.937061.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484942563.285425.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484942575.721370.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484942589.436795.jpg

I plan on adding some plants, hopefully small real ones but this is it for now :)

The humidifier isn't in there all the time, i just use it to boost the humidity every now and then.

Please feel free to leave suggestions :D

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I used wooden bendy bridges meant for rodents to section it off to make it more interesting :) and like I said, I want some plants to put around the bottom level to provide more hiding places. If anyone has any plant ideas that do well in heat, please do tell me :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So I cleaned Spud's viv out today and decided to change it up a bit. I know that most torts don't like change but Spud seems to cope pretty well and doesn't seem to mind.

The viv is on the small side, I know and he is due an upgrade but he has a large outdoor space that he spends most of summer in so it will have to do for now as he will be outside soon :)

View attachment 197549 View attachment 197550
View attachment 197551
View attachment 197552
View attachment 197553

I plan on adding some plants, hopefully small real ones but this is it for now :)

The humidifier isn't in there all the time, i just use it to boost the humidity every now and then.

I see Spud is still climbing!!
He's looking good.

Oogway the russian tort

View attachment 197549 View attachment 197550
View attachment 197551
View attachment 197552
View attachment 197553

maybe some succulents, spider plant, ice plant ,baby aloe, some types of ferns,

BILBO-03

Thank you! So I need to leave it to grow or can I put it straight in as he wont be eating it. I still worry about chemicals in the soil
I think you need to put it in organic soil and let it grow for a little bit but I may be wrong ? Also a hibiscus plant would be good they are pretty and good food ;)

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I think you need to put it in organic soil and let it grow for a little bit but I may be wrong ? Also a hibiscus plant would be good they are pretty and good food ;)
I really want to get a hibiscus plant but I can't find one anywhere and I'm not very green fingered so I can't grow one :(

I am going to try my best this year and as soon as Spring kicks in, I'm going to redo his outdoor enclosure and get growing some weeds.

BILBO-03

I really want to get a hibiscus plant but I can't find one anywhere and I'm not very green fingered so I can't grow one :(

I am going to try my best this year and as soon as Spring kicks in, I'm going to redo his outdoor enclosure and get growing some weeds.
I'm surprised no one has any hibiscus plant ! I'm hoping this summer to try to grow a lot of natural plants for my tort outside :)

Oogway the russian tort

Thank you! So I need to leave it to grow or can I put it straight in as he wont be eating it. I still worry about chemicals in the soil
I would "quarantine" the plant by changing the soil to nonpestice and fertilizer and then add it to your enclosure you can leave it in the original pot or just plant it and I live in socal and there is a lot of hibiscus here I will usually find cuttings and try to grow them btw hibiscus needs a lot of water I don't think u should grow it in the enclosure but somewhere else where it can get dampish soil. Have you tried flower shops they always have hibiscus if. not look online I'm sure someone can sell/give you one

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I would "quarantine" the plant by changing the soil to nonpestice and fertilizer and then add it to your enclosure you can leave it in the original pot or just plant it and I live in socal and there is a lot of hibiscus here I will usually find cuttings and try to grow them btw hibiscus needs a lot of water I don't think u should grow it in the enclosure but somewhere else where it can get dampish soil. Have you tried flower shops they always have hibiscus if. not look online I'm sure someone can sell/give you one
I found this website: http://cactusfortortoises.co.uk/shop/index.php
It looks pretty good. I wouldn't know what to get though...

I will get a spider plant and hunt down some hibiscus :)

Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oooh , I missed this thread.
I use spider plants.
They reproduce and grow very quickly and are quite tough when nibbled.
I love Spud's new enclosure. :<3:

Diamond

phoenix,az
I have a pothos plant in my enclosure, but I'm noticing that there are nats in the enclosure after having the plant in there for 4 months now. Not sure if it's plant or the coco coir. Anyone else ever have this issue?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I ended up with worms and rollypollys because I left the plants outside a couple weeks before I put them in the habitat. Didn't really bother me though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hear about spider plants a lot... Do you know where I can get one?
Homebase sell them and used to do 2 for £6.
Repot in chemical free soil and allow some time for any sprays etc that shops use to grow out, but they are tort safe.
See www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for other tort safe plants too.
Aldi sometimes sell hibiscus plants for £3 a pot too but they do grow very big - unless Spud keeps them trimmed of course!
Lola likes Aloe so that prob wouldn't last long in an enclosure if Spud likes it - I grow it in a pot and ration Lola. Ikea sell that for about £2
Spineless Opuntia seems to be popular in US but no had any luck finding that in uk yet.

Last edited: