• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Spumoni the Sulcata (New Sulcata owner from IL)

kellyb4be

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi everyone-
I'm in Illinois & I got Spumoni around mid April of this year-

How's Spu looking so far?
I have received a lot of tips for feeding and housing from the Sulcata section and really appreciate that. Unfortunately, I don't have too much information on age (bought from a Reptile store..)- the estimate was about a year so if anyone has some insight as to whether/not age is accurate, that would be great help as well.
Otherwise, Spu is pretty active and would eats like a pig (Bok Choy and Turnip Greens have become a favorite). I've been using cuttlebone and Spu has no problem munching relatively often. Currently Spu is indoors (20 gallon tank w/ UV & basking lamp as well as a hide spot), but since weather is around 75 or higher here in Chicago right now, we've been going outside a lot more often (watching very carefully and making sure we don't encounter any areas that may be fertilized/otherwise dangerous...in the process of building him a little outdoor area and planting some more sulcata friendly grass there). I soak Spu about 2 or 3 times a week for 10-20 mins. Thanks for all the information you all share & any advice you may have!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your pic didn't come through. Try again maybe? There is no way for us to know the age. Their growth rates can vary tremendously based on a variety of factors.

You diet needs much improvement. Try this link:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

20 gallons is too small even for a hatchling. You tortoise needs room to move. You need something MUCH larger ASAP. And you don't need a little outdoor area, you need a very large outdoor area. You have the third largest tortoise species in the world. It is always going to need a lot of space.

What are you using for UV inside? The coil types can damage their eyes.

Here is another thread that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Tom covered it. Some of his threads are also post in my signature. North or South side, I'm a North sider.

bouaboua

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you and Spumoni here. Spu looks good to me.